• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is the K&N Air filter worth buying??

jeepman121

NAXJA Forum User
I orderd one at my local parts store for 46 bucks thats including tax. Everyone told me it would pay for itself in a year or so due to the increase in mileage. But I heard that the 4.0 or as most of you call it a "tractor motor" sometimes wont benefit very much from simple mods such as air filters/intake kits.

when my XJ was stock i saw an avg increase of 60 miles per tank, highway. the best i did was 410 on a tank. i have the whole kit from K&N

i also put one on my wifes Mazda 3i, she went from 340 per tank to over 400 every tank, 14.5gl tank.

Think twice....... and look up filtering results for K&N vs. other manufacturers. It might not be a big deal on a Jeep 4.0l. It's a much bigger concern for my 5.9l Cummins ISB turbodiesel.

Realistically, don't compare mileage by just throwing in a K&N. Do yourself a favor and compare against a new clean paper element as well.

I want everyone to use K&N filters, It makes me lots of money, dusted engines, especially Diesels, please buy more, I need more Jeep money!

:yelclap:

ChiXJeff said:
Think twice....... and look up filtering results for K&N vs. other manufacturers. It might not be a big deal on a Jeep 4.0l. It's a much bigger concern for my 5.9l Cummins ISB turbodiesel.

Realistically, don't compare mileage by just throwing in a K&N. Do yourself a favor and compare against a new clean paper element as well.

Right on!!

no difference noted. I did notice a light fine dust on the inside of the air duct to the throttle body, back to good 'ol paper again. Seeing this I immediatly returned the k&n filter I was going to install in my ktm and bought a couple twin airs. shame on k&n! They must be working closely with engine rebuild parts companies:shocked:

Are you serious??? they are actually bad?? Is this just a problem with the factory air intake box?? I've never heard this but if it's true I'm glad I asked..:doh:

The K&N doesn't filter as good. If you live in desert or drive in dirt a lot, don't do it. I have one and plan on switching to AEM as they're filter has been shown to filter as good as stock paper element, never need oiling, and flow better (largely due to being a big cone filter compared to a flat panel in the stock application.)

I have a K&N that fits the OEM airbox. I also use paper filters. I haven't really noticed any difference in mileage or perf from either.

I bought my '88 in '01 with the K&N. Used it exclusively for the first 2 years. Got tired of having to wash, dry and then oil it, having to wait until it drained well enough to go back on (yes, even 30 minutes is too long if you're in a hurry). So I bought a paper filter to use while the K&N set up. I also had a pretty bad blowby problem for a while and the K&N got soaked with engine oil. So I used paper ones until I cleared the blowby.

Ford did a study with Gauze filter vs Factory in a Diesel, the amount of dirt that passed thru was unbelievable, They now void your warranty. It made sense when the engineer said " If it worked and made free power, do you not think we would be all over it"

I'll be swapping out the k&n cone for an amsoil eaau3090 cone next week. I've been cleaning it every other month. I've seen the fine dust yall are talking about before.

Are you lightly spraying the filter or giving it a moderate soaking and allowing the extra to run off?

If your planning on keeping your jeep on the road. yeah sure, why not. go ahead. through it in there. It'll allow more air in... better boom... etc.. etc.. But ya know, It's a jeep. do you seriously plan on keeping it ON the road? if you ever plan on taking it OFF road, dont get the K&N. All that wheelin... all that dust in the air... dust goes with that air into your engine.. well yeah. Not good. Im still building my jeep up to eventually take offroading, so it just see's road time. But im still not doin it.

Wow!! guess I'm getting my money back. Upon further investigation others are claiming that the oil on the filter will coat -I believe it was the MAP sensor, and overtime trip check engine codes-and others gave it an award for the longest running scam in the auto indusry!! touch'e touch'e

FordGuy said:
Hey, there not all bad, you will notice they are used a lot on off-road race cars, I used it on mine, but we all run oiled foam pre-filters.

Yeah use em to keep the foam from getting sucked in!

But how long do you ORR motors last??....were talking about long term effects not a motor thats rebuilt or replaced every 1-5 years.

I've had my K&N for about 4 years and haven't had any problems. I do run a prefilter on too. When I've taken the filter off to clean I haven't really noticed any dust, but honestly I wasn't looking either. El Paso is a pretty dusty town, if you haven't been there.
I like the K&N make fun of me all you want.

jeepman121 said:
Wow!! guess I'm getting my money back. Upon further investigation others are claiming that the oil on the filter will coat -I believe it was the MAP sensor, and overtime trip check engine codes-and others gave it an award for the longest running scam in the auto indusry!! touch'e touch'e

Seem to affect vehicles with mass airflow meters like gm vehicles and yoda's,etc. You can buy a can of sensor clean now that isn't supposed to harm the mass airflow.
chevies seem to like throwing codes with gauze and oil type filters. If you do run a cone style filter, at the very least run an oiled prefilter on it when offroad

Back