• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Axles

AMERCANZERO

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, been lurking a while but this is my first question. I usually find what I am looking for whilst searching but this time Im still stumped. I will hopefully be purchasing a non disco axle to replace my front 30. My question is what to do with the vacuum stuff on the truck once the non disco axle is in. Im guessing plug everything but I want to make sure it wont effect anything else. I have 5sp so Im not worried about the shifting computer stuff that I have read a little about. I did search so Im hoping to get some help with this. Atleast a little direction if you know of an existing thread. Thanks in advance.

Anybody? Ive read a whole lot on how to make the disco into a non disco but I might be buying a whole new axle thats already geared. I just need to know what to do with the left over vacuum stuff thats in the truck. Im thinking just pulling all the hoses back to the vacuum reserviors in the engine bay and plugging those holes will do it. Hope somebody can help.

We are fixing to figure this out this weekend. We are in the process of converting a disco axle to a non-disco. We were wondering the same thing. We should have an answer before long.

Thanks, im not in a hurry to do it I just get anxious before I buy stuff and wanted to make sure everything is going to come together if I do get the new axle. I think with the 5sp there shouldnt be any shifting issues so I would think just removing unneccesary parts all the way back to the engine bay and plugging what holes are left should do it. Hope all goes well. I will be waiting in anticipation.

:soapbox: just plug them off at the source unless you want the 4wd light to work, then you plug the lines to the servo where they come out of the t/c switch. why are you swapping it out? unless you are doing a locking hub conversion you are taking a step backwards. we put a disco in my sons'95/5 speed with a posi-loc cable system so he can run a front posi & it works great. it's not as good as a hub conversion but with a 33" or smaller tires they hold up well. you can upgrade to axles with the stronger 297 u joints so that's not an issue. all yjs came with discos & most of the guys I know still run them with 32" & 33" tires & they don't break. I have a 242 & that's the only reason I don't run one myself. it's the friggin vacuum acuators that that don't work, not the disconnects. just one guys opinion for what it's worth.

I just keep reading guys that say they are opening the disconnect and locking it open with washers or spacers and I thought the non disco would be better. Truthfully im second in line for a set of axles with 4.10 gears cheaper then regearing my axles but the 30 is a non disco.

If you know someone who can help you set it up you can just swap the guts $30 to $60 for a kit,but it WILL need to be set up & that's a pain if you've never done it. if your axle deal falls through, scour the bone yards for a 30 w/a bent housing & 4.10s. you should be able to pick up the pumkin cheap.I've heard there are cheap home brewed posi-loc set ups you can build for $20 to$50, then you spend the money you saved on a lunchbox locker. to lock a non-disco it's $800 to $1300 for a locking hub kit. I hope the info on the vacuum lines helps, that's the way you do it when you go posi-loc or non-disco either one. hope you get your 4.10s tho, they'll be worth the hassle either way.

Thats what im really looking forward to. I hope to get the 4.10s and at some point lock up the rear. Although, if this deal falls thru I think the early model 4cyl front axles with the 4.10s had the vacuum disco. Thats what I was originally looking for when I came across this deal. If Im understanding you guys, that would be the best route and then do a spacer or posi-lock for that one.

Back