• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Regearing a 98'auto cherokee with bigger tires

TimmyA

NAXJA Forum User
Should I regear my 98' automatic cherokee, and what to? If I just got 31x10.5x15 tires and a 4.5"RE lift,... Old tires 225x75r15 standard

Go to FAQ and all your answers are there.

TimmyA said:
Should I regear my 98' automatic cherokee, and what to? If I just got 31x10.5x15 tires and a 4.5"RE lift,... Old tires 225x75r15 standard

No, don't re gear unless you are planning on going taller.

IF you are staying with 31s then,No I would not regear. Save your money for another upgrade.

TimmyA said:
dont even mess with gears if you have 31s. if your gonna gear it, grab some 33s and run 4.56s.

What axle do you have,that would definately tell you whether any investment should even be thought about?

FWIW-
I run 31X10.5 on my 99 w/auto and 3.55 gears; it is OK. I ASSUME you have a Chy. 8.25 with 29 spline? With 31's gas mileage suffers and so will low-end. I installed a SYE, 4" lift, etc. I intially said I would not go larger than 31's, now I am planning on 33's and am planning on regearing to 4.56 and lockers.
If I was not going larger w/ my DD I would not regear, but would use 3rd vs. OD more.

I run 30s on stock and frequently wish I was running 4.10 in the mountains of Utah.
On flat ground, this thing still accelerates well.
No balls up hill though.

Back