• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unusual Death Wobble question

Fourxfour79

NAXJA Forum User
Hey All, I've been battleing the death wobble for a little while now. It happens at speeds over 50 mph as with most DW's. I checked the Ball joints, steering linkages and box as well as my u-joints. Upon checking the U-joint that is closest to the T-case from the rear drive shaft I noticed that there is a very small amount of play from yoke that fits over the output shaft of the t-case. I don't believe this is normal but also haven't heard of anyone else with this prob.

Stats: It is a 94 xj (black in case anyone was wondering)with 199k, I-6 np231 and I just did a budget boost with the main spring from another similar cherokee

Next step is to level out the front with Grand C's front coils and then an alignment. Pretty sure none of that is causeing it but there is that poss. Thanks for advice. D

Remove front D/S and go for a drive.

Get under while someone turns wheel side to side and FEEL around.

have you even changed anything up front yet? if you only added a leaf to the spring pack you shouldnt experience any death wobble. did you have the problem before the bastard pack? what did you do to check the TRE's?

Harlee&Tahoe said:
Remove front D/S and go for a drive.

Get under while someone turns wheel side to side and FEEL around.

x2. Look at the upper and low track bar mounts. Check your toe-in alignment - a tape measure can get you pretty close, btw. Many will argue this, but I've found that replacing a worn out damper as a last resort when everything else looks good can resolve the problem.

replacing steering stabalizer will only help but never eliminate original cause of the DW. DW is caused by loading and unloading of forces and takes only a little play to cause big problems. could be something stupid like tire balance. I've had mud build up even fresh powder really throw things off.
A stabilizer only helps by slowing the forces and when you steer side to side or DW occurs the stabilizer essentially takes up slack. Fix the slack first.

it did have the prob before the bastard pack but if the alingment issue is the problem then my thinking is that it could be caused by sagging front springs. I don't believe that the bastard pack did anything bad...if anything it pretty much brought me back to stock.

I already did the whole feeling looking listening while someone turns the wheel which is why I replace the track bar. I think that it could also be something dumb like you said about the wheel balance. This weekend I'm gonna do the front springs and align after that. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

The real concern that I had was that rear yoke and output shaft "shimmy " for lack of better term. I was just wondering if anyone else feels a slight movement between the yoke and outputshaft (on non-sye jeeps).

Thanks again for all the great suggestions. I'll try taking off the DS. THanks again!

I got the evil death wobble... now
SO.. do I lift the front up to check the steering by wiggling the wheel side to side?

mage said:
I got the evil death wobble... now
SO.. do I lift the front up to check the steering by wiggling the wheel side to side?

No. Leave it on the ground and have someone yank the steering wheel back and forth while you look at and feel the tie rod ends and track bar ends. Check the toe-in alignment as well.

Back