• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help dead cherokee

fuelfox4949

NAXJA Forum User
after i went mudding in gilbert, mn 2 weeks ago i have been cleaning and tuning up my jeep but now i dont know whats wrong with her. i am got low battery it will stay at about 10 volts then drop and the check gauge light comes on, i put a new battery in it and same thing happens. now i brought my alternator in to autozone they tested it and it passed. the guy told me to spray my alternator and all the connections with electrical grease. i did all that and tonight i am putting it back together. i also sprayed my starter. is there anything else that could be causeing this to not charge or give me low volts. need to know so i can try and get the parts before they close. thanks guys p.s i ran the error codes nothing come up except battery low.

What year XJ? Did you check the fuse link?

With everything hooked back up, start the engine let it run a few minutes ,take a voltmeter and check volts at alt. should be around 13-14 volts. Then check it at the battery should be close to the same.It sounds like you have a wiring problem. Good Luck

Testing of the alternator is not always conclusive. The problem still could be the alternator.

Also, you would be well served to check and freshen all grounds and connections. Poor rusty grounds are the cause of many electrical problems.

Back