• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sye leaking after install

99XJLove

NAXJA Forum User
Okay I just got done doing an AA HD SYE and RE 5.5" Lift. My problem is that my SYE seems to be leaking around the output shaft of the new tailshaft housing. It isn't pouring out but it is leaking. What did I do wrong? I followed the directions for the install from AA, and the bearing was already installed in the tailshaft housing when I got the kit. Please help me I hate leaks!

Did you get it from PORC,and did you install the star washer?

mine leeked there too, i forgot to lube the seal for the yoke. get a new seal and lube it well before you put the yoke back in.

RCP Phx said:
Did you get it from PORC,and did you install the star washer?

No it is an AA HD SYE and yes I did install the star washer. I also lubed the seal liberally before installing the yoke. I belive that the star washer is causing the leak.

I had to replace the seal shortly after my install. After taking the old one out I must have installed it wrong. Let the new one soak overnight in ATF and no problems the last 6 months.

Is it leaking along the yoke side of the seal or the tail cone side of the seal.

I had a seal that would actually spin in the tail cone. I put a touch of RTV on the seal/tailcone interface and now it is dry.

JNickel101 said:
I got this SYE from Jeepinoutfitters:

http://jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=567

It didnt come with the same "outer" seal that is shown in this pic of the AA SYE (on the yoke):

http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?cPath=426&products_id=1871

does yours have that outer seal?

oh and mine "weeps" a little too. I was hoping that putting the outer seal on would fix that.

Mine did not have the yoke in the 2nd pic. I do belive that it isn't a seal though. It is like the oil slinger that you remove from the tailshaft housing in the first place. The kit I ordered is this one and it looks exatly the same. http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/advance-adapters-slip-yoke-eliminator-drive-shaft-p-115.html It is leaking at the yoke side of the seal.

I had the same problem after my install. I tried to cross the number on the seal and it was some off brand that was not readily available here, so I went down to napa and matched one up by size installed it and now no more leaks.

lonecountryboy said:
I had the same problem after my install. I tried to cross the number on the seal and it was some off brand that was not readily available here, so I went down to napa and matched one up by size installed it and now no more leaks.

Tomorrow I'm going to start off by making sure that I got the tq right on the yoke nut. Then i'm going to see what happens after that. If I was off by like 30-40ftlbs do you think that could make it leak?

Well I started thinking about it and the first torque wrench that I use on the jeep was a 3/8" drive and it only went up to 100'lbs so when I did the yoke nut I just went past the click a ways. I re-torqued it today to the actual 150'lbs and it seems to be fine after driving it for a couple miles.

Back