• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disco D30 -> Non-Disco D30 *Writeup*

mattbred

NAXJA Forum User
I took out all my vacuum lines on my '89 since I was swapping in an NP242, and I needed to figure out what to do with the disconnect Dana 30. I heard you can add washers beside the shifter fork to force it over, so I took out the housing.

Warning: Some oil will pour out (enough that you should get an oil pan)

Turns out that to put washers in you need to take out a few snap rings, which generally are the most annoying mechanical parts on earth. I didn't have the required tools and I thought it'd be a waste to simply put it back in, so what to do.. What to do..

Bingo! It runs on vacuum, that's the key. If you put your fingers over the vacuum ports, the shifter fork will not be able to move. Hence the writeup:

Step 1: Remove the disconnect housing (4 bolts, 11mm) [Have an oil pan ready underneath]
Step 2: Move the shifter fork as far from the vacuum motor as possible, and plug all the vacuum ports (using tooth picks, vacuum plugs, etc).
Step 3: Replace the disconnect housing
Step 4: Touch up the oil level

That's it, simple eh? I'm not sure how it'll hold in the long run, but after plugging the ports, I couldn't force the shifter fork over.

It will work fine until the vacuum diaphragm tears.

I just converted mine, and I hated the damn snap rings. I also disliked the idea of the washers, dont know why, it just didnt sit right with me.

I disassembled my vacuum motor, and cut the diaphragm housing of the shaft. I reassembled it with the shift fork all the way over to the engaged position. I then placed a thick weld washer on the shaft against the fork, and welded it to the shaft. I then placed another weld washer on the shaft against the housing, on the inside, and welded it to the shaft. I replaced the bronze bushing and o-ring in the housing, and welded another weld washer on the shaft from the outside.

Its a permanent fix, but I trust it. I also have another vacuum actuator as a spare if I ever decide to go back to a disco axle.

Well yes, a hard part that doesn't allow the fork to move at all would be a more reliable fix, for sure. But like I said, after pluggin the ports, the fork didn't move at all. There's no real force on it either, but eventually I'll probably do the washer trick. Just thought I'd let people know about the vacuum ports if they ever needed to do this. Say youre on the trail and your vacuum lines break, then what? Well you can move the fork over and plug the ports ;p

mattbred said:
Well yes, a hard part that doesn't allow the fork to move at all would be a more reliable fix, for sure. But like I said, after pluggin the ports, the fork didn't move at all. There's no real force on it either, but eventually I'll probably do the washer trick. Just thought I'd let people know about the vacuum ports if they ever needed to do this. Say youre on the trail and your vacuum lines break, then what? Well you can move the fork over and plug the ports ;p
I had an ASE certified technician shim mine on the Rubicon using the washer trick.

No warranty, but it hasnt broken yet :knocksonwood:

the posi-loc people make a kit for this, its $60.00 though. I guess that's about $58.42 more than a stack of washers. of course the real fix is to stuff a non disco axle & seal in it.

As I found out today, only do my method in a pinch, hahah. It already gave out after a couple days on the street, I can hear the axle shafts grinding against eachother. O well, time to do the washer trick.

Well I used enough screwdrivers and force and I got them blasted rings out. Took the shaft out, sanded the fork up (it was burred pretty bad), put in a nut and a washer, the 3 lock rings and bolted 'er back in. Seems to work good and now I know it's reliable!

Could still use the vacuum trick if a guy was in a pinch though.

i took it one step further and pulled both passenger side half axles and just found the right seal for the passenger side of the diff(its a bit smaller than the driver side seal), then i put a one piece axle out of another xj in and poof! i have a non disco axle.

Back