• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some D60 front info...

Boostwerks.com

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to narrow down the most desireable D60 front end swap for the XJ (stock 231 TC placement). I've done my research, but havn't found enough to answer my questions.

It seems like the 78-79 Ford would be the most desireable for the pumpkin placement and the KP knuckles. However, I'm having trouble finding one, nor would I like to pay $1000+ for a rusty peice of metal thats older than myself (lol). Thus, I'm trying to find other options that would work just as well.

Questions:

- What is so undesireable about the 94+ Dodge 60s?
- Would the super duty 60 cause any drive shaft issues? I would have lockout hubs anyways so I doubt it.
- Any other variation you would reccomend?

Some notes:
I'm not going to run a tire larger than a 38
I'm perfectly fine with ball joints
Don't tell me to get a 44. There are numerous reasons I'm planning on a 60. If anything I might do a 44/60 hybrid.

Thanks for any help!
Bryson

The dodge d60s are undesirable because they use huge, expensive, unserviceable unit bearings and have a Jeep-like CAD system I believe.

On the ford superduty D60, the newer ones, from 99-current (i thnk) have a metric lug pattern instead of a standard eight lug pattern.

Yup..... the D60 in the front end of my 99 Ram 2500 CTD is (more or less) an over grown D30 with a passenger side disconnect.

Realistically, I wouldn't consider the unit bearings that much of a problem if you're stuffing it under an XJ. I've got 1,200 lbs. of engine right over mine, and I doubt that you'll deliver more power than a built CTD anyways.

BTW, if you're converting a CTD based Dodge D60 to lockout hubs, you've got more than your budget right there.

Nothing wrong with the superduty ones, except 05 and newer has a crap ton of cast brackets on the driver side and you still have to weld your brackets to the cast, + is that it comes 35 spline inner and outer stock. No driveshaft issues on mine. Granted it is a bit offset.

Bryson said:
What about the post-79, pre-superduty Ford D60's?
only issue wit them is the diff is 3" more to the drivers side wich makes it a little tighter mouting coil buckets and upper control arm mounts, but its definetly do-able, there been lote of peaple who have installed these into TJ's and XJ's

At some point the SD 60s came with a metric wheel bolt pattern. You didnt mention if you would be swapping outers or not, but something to be aware of.

Look on Pirate for Billavistas Dana 60 bible in the tech section. All you want to know about 60s.

That being said, build a Hi9!

Starboard M said:
At some point the SD 60s came with a metric wheel bolt pattern. You didnt mention if you would be swapping outers or not, but something to be aware of.

Look on Pirate for Billavistas Dana 60 bible in the tech section. All you want to know about 60s.

That being said, build a Hi9!

Yeah I did (post #5). I read his 60 bible many times actually (great write up!!!), but I still had some lingering XJ specific questions. :)

But I think I may try to find a 90's ish Ford 60 to build up. Would you guys happen to know how the WMS would compare to my FF 14bolt? :guitar:

Are you going to leave it full width?

Nothing wrong with ball joints, if 1 ton trucks live with them with big tires and big loads they certainly will hold up under a much lighter Jeep or buggy. Currie and many other axle builders build them with ball joints.

Same goes for the Dodge unit bearings. Tera60 stuff uses Dodge unit bearings, and so does the new Spidertrax 60 knuckles. And, you can get them 5 on 5.5 so you don't have to mess with the 8 lug stuff.

AZRick just built a 609 using stock Dodge knuckles and unit bearings, Paul S and Dave Taylor just built 609's using Tera outers with Dodge unit bearings, and I have a Tera60 front with Dodge unit bearings, all ball joint BTW.

You have a lot of choices if you're going to narrow it. If you want full width I'd go for a pre-SD, which is pre-'99 Ford front axle so you don't have to deal with the metric bolt pattern. If you want an earlier king pin version, the going rate is around $1000.

Goatman said:
Same goes for the Dodge unit bearings. Tera60 stuff uses Dodge unit bearings, and so does the new Spidertrax 60 knuckles. And, you can get them 5 on 5.5 so you don't have to mess with the 8 lug stuff.

i thought that theyre using ford F450 1 ton unit bearings. the dodge ones dont have lockouts (like stock XJ units) and the newer ford ones do. also, i heard the newer ford unit bearings were able to accept 35 spline outers no problem.

Back