• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where's the oil pressure release valve?

low&slow

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 91 xj with a high output 4.0L and the pressure is reading 80 PSI at Idle. I replaced both the gauge and sending unit with no results. i than hooked up a mechanical gauge and found the pressure was still reading about 70 PSI at idle. So now I've been told to check the oil pressure release valve, but i have no clue where its located. if anyone knows where it is or has a suggestion about my high oil pressure feel free to respond.

Replace the oil filter. NO Fram.

old_man said:
Replace the oil filter. NO Fram.

While I would agree with the anti-Fram crap sentiments, I don't think the oil filter can be blamed for high oil pressure. The sender is after the filter. The FSM sites clogged filter as a possible cause for low oil pressure.

The pressure relief valve is in the oil pump, with a max pressure of 75-psi. Is it always high, or just when cold? If it's just when cold I wouldn't worry too much about it, other than perhaps making sure to use the correct weight oil.

Back