• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveline Vibes.. Big time damage???

Garthbmn7

NAXJA Member #524
Swapped out my sagging stock springs and put on a set of Up Country in addition to my 2 inch lift. Got the vibes. Problem is no time to work on it this week and need to go out of town for weekend. Will driving 600 miles hurt the thing or should I MAKE time to get this done before leaving town?
Thanks In Advance all

ummmm most likely yes... bearings, accelarated wear and so on come to mind
How do your angles look? what year is your XJ? do you have SYE? tcase drop?

Kejtar

98 sport with 2inch budget...Just swapped the original leaves for upcountry ones. I ran and picked up a tc drop kit but have very little time between now and tomorrow when we are supposed to leave. the vibes don't seem like thet are very serious and i only notice them around 30-35 mph

the fact you only feel them at that speed doesn't mean that they don't exist at others.... did you put in the tcase drop in? Is it a full 1"?

Kejtar

have NOT put the tc drop in yet.. Was trying to decide if I need to MAKE time to put it on. How difficult is it to do? If the back of my xj is loaded down this weekend, 200lbs gear and 2x80 lb dogs would that help the angle by lowering the rear end? The shop I bought the tc drop kit from said that a lot of times the stud gets broken when trying to remove. My other option is to put the stock shackles back on for the weekend. Assuming I dont break one of those bolts!

ok... yes and no.....
1. the tcase drop should be too hard to put in, just spray the studs and bolts ahead of time with pbblaster
2. the longer shackle might actually be a good thing as it rotates your pinion downwards...
3. the 600lbs might not push your rear down enough....

in general it's hard to give you a definate answer on anything as each XJ is different, but..... putting in the tcase drop took me only about 1hr when I did mine.... to removbe the studs... double nut them...

Kejtar

what does double nut mean? or will it be obvious when I crawl under there?
Thanks Ketjar

you won't have any way top remove the stud by itself. "double nut" means thread a bolt on the stud, then thread another on and tighten them against each other. that way you can put a wrench on the lower bolt and when you turn it, it will turn the stud instead of just taking the nut off. the transfer case drop won't take nearly as long as shackles. i can do it in about 15 minutes by now. good luck

i thought the stud was a M10x1.5 and the outer size of the nut was 15mm. Unless I misunderstood the question.

Back