• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX 15

jeepxj21085

NAXJA Forum User
So i got me a ax 15 from a buddy from his 97 tj to put in my 1990 xj i was told by another friend that it wont work do to the fact the way the transfer case bolts to it is diffrent, it sets at a diffrent angel under the truck than what the xj is ....does anyone know if this is true. I ran part numbers at work tonight and theirs diffrent listings for the two jeep transmissions i always thought the only diffrence was the mainshaft sizes

I believe the transfer case is clocked differently on the end of the transmission for a TJ but there are ways around it.

the spline count on the t/case is different, 21 vs 23 ,93 is the year it changes as I recall,I've been told when you trie to use the xj trans in a wrangler the case hits the floorboards but you can use the wrangler tranny in the xj. I'd really like to get some hard info on whether it really fits. my son bought a 95 yj unit to go in his 95 xj & the transfer case is positivley clocked differently. he bought it off craigs list & the guy assured him it would work as is, but I'd like to hear from someone who has done this swap. it appears the front driveshaft will be about an inch higher with the wrangler trans. I know his shifter will fit, but if your'e converting from an a.t. the shifter will look like it belongs on a semi.

I believe the spline count change was coincident with the changeover from the BA-10 to the AX-15, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The transfer case in the YJ/TJ is clocked differently (higher and flatter,) but that's easy enough to solve. Just swap the adapter housing on the tailend of the transmission case. They're the same length, the only difference is the location of the transfer case mounting stud holes.

I believe a 97 AX-15 will have a longer output shaft than a 90.

Fred

cherokee chuck said:
the spline count on the t/case is different, 21 vs 23 ,93 is the year it changes as I recall,I've been told when you trie to use the xj trans in a wrangler the case hits the floorboards but you can use the wrangler tranny in the xj. I'd really like to get some hard info on whether it really fits. my son bought a 95 yj unit to go in his 95 xj & the transfer case is positivley clocked differently. he bought it off craigs list & the guy assured him it would work as is, but I'd like to hear from someone who has done this swap. it appears the front driveshaft will be about an inch higher with the wrangler trans. I know his shifter will fit, but if your'e converting from an a.t. the shifter will look like it belongs on a semi.
the transfer case is out of an automatic but going into a manual so are they the same i thought they were

5-90 said:
I believe the spline count change was coincident with the changeover from the BA-10 to the AX-15, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The transfer case in the YJ/TJ is clocked differently (higher and flatter,) but that's easy enough to solve. Just swap the adapter housing on the tailend of the transmission case. They're the same length, the only difference is the location of the transfer case mounting stud holes.
your right the tailends are an easy swap from what i found out and just need to change pilot bushing to the 97

I have done the swap. Your cross member may have to be move back about 4", and you can correct the linkage with the tcase linkage kit from Novak.

I stand corrected, A.T. spline count is 23,early ax-15 up to mid 93 is 21 spline according Hollanders interchange & my buddies at Olympic 4x4 Supply. so the shifter/adapter housing just slips off? no snap rings or complications? can a guy who can't keep his interchange straight swap it out? I'm a decent mechanic & parts changer but stick tranny internals intimidate me.

ALL AX15's found in Cherokees are 23 spline.

If your transfercase is from a 1990 with the AW4, it will be 21 spline. If you're swapping an AX15, it will be 23 spline. You will need to change the input shaft on the transfer case.

---------

87-89 Peugeot BA/10 - 21 Spline
87-90 AW4 - 21 Spline
89+ AX15 - 23 Spline
91+ AW4 - 23 Spline

Last edited:
mattbred said:
ALL AX15's found in Cherokees are 23 spline.

If your transfercase is from a 1990 with the AW4, it will be 21 spline. If you're swapping an AX15, it will be 23 spline. You will need to change the input shaft on the transfer case.

---------

87-89 Peugeot BA/10 - 21 Spline
87-90 AW4 - 21 Spline
89+ AX15 - 23 Spline
91+ AW4 - 23 Spline
just found out today the 97 tj ax15 tranny wont work being its a external slave were mine is a internal .........no the transfer case is from a 96 auto with sye already installed and my jeep is a 1990 4.0 with ax 15 so acording to you their both 23 spline

jeepxj21085 said:
just found out today the 97 tj ax15 tranny wont work being its a external slave were mine is a internal .........no the transfer case is from a 96 auto with sye already installed and my jeep is a 1990 4.0 with ax 15 so acording to you their both 23 spline

It will still work - you just have to change the hydraulics over to the later model as well. I'll be doing the same thing with my 88, now that I have a 1994 AX-15 (external...)

5-90 said:
It will still work - you just have to change the hydraulics over to the later model as well. I'll be doing the same thing with my 88, now that I have a 1994 AX-15 (external...)
yea i know it but im trying to keep things simple i got another ax15 from a 1990 xj from the junk yard they deliver it tomorrow to work for 200.00 with 80,000 on it they said 89-91 ax15 will all work .....so well see it the transfer case is a 23 spline or not this weekend i just wanted to use the 97 one because it was compleatly redone

jeepxj21085 said:
yea i know it but im trying to keep things simple i got another ax15 from a 1990 xj from the junk yard they deliver it tomorrow to work for 200.00 with 80,000 on it they said 89-91 ax15 will all work .....so well see it the transfer case is a 23 spline or not this weekend i just wanted to use the 97 one because it was compleatly redone

Going external slave would be keeping it simple in my opinion. Have fun pulling your whole transmission if the slave cylinder fails.

If you have the chance to convert to an external slave, DO IT! The internal slave is completely non-serviceable, and costs like 5 times as much as the external slave(just the part) Installation is beyond a pain in the a**

Back