• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

do TJ d44 shafts fit an XJ d44?

OLAK

NAXJA Forum User
picked up an xj d44 minus one shaft, and oem xj shafts are hard to find and expensive. I will have better luck with later model shafts from a TJ The dimensions for the shafts appear the same, but they have different Spicer part numbers XJ is 73499-1x versus 97-2001 TJ 75786-1x Anyone know what the difference might be?

the tj d44's are a d44 center section with d35 tubes, I imagine that the bearings are different.
Not sure about width.
Have you considered sprining for alloys and then keeping the one stock one you have for a spare?

width, flange diameter, bearing surface diameter, spline diameter and count are all the same. The early TJ even has the same wheel stud part number as the XJ, so that is why I can't figure out why there are two part numbers...there has to be a difference

the TJ has a smaller spacing retainer plate and smaller bearings. Shaft though is the same

as far as i know they are the same. the reason there are 2 different part numbers (assuming you are talking about housing part numbers), is because the XJ D44 is setup for leaf springs, and the TJ D44 is setup for coils.

i have a XJ and TJ both with D44.

i've never heard of the TJ 44 having 35 outers. i know the rubicon front 44 is a 44 diff with 30 outers. but the rubicon front and rear 44 gears are different and are NOT interchangeable.

I just recently purchased and installed Alloyusa TJ D44 shafts into my '88 XJ D44 rear; only difference were the axle retainers. The shafts came with bearings and bearing retainers.

scorpio_vette said:
i've never heard of the TJ 44 having 35 outers. i know the rubicon front 44 is a 44 diff with 30 outers. .

Well now ya have, and now ya know...

The TJ D44 does use the D35 flange to allow ease of parts interchangability. The D35 brakes (backing plate) fit on a D44 housing IF you have a TJ D44...

ROBERTK said:
the TJ has a smaller spacing retainer plate and smaller bearings. Shaft though is the same

The axle bearings on both the TJ and XJ 44 shafts ARE the same. The shafts, bearings, seals, and studs are ALL the same. The ONLY difference is the 4-bolt retainer plate, nothing else.

-Mike

original axle direct from spicer (from US) $440Canadian plus brokerage
Tj axle from spicer $334Canadian ( in Toronto)
TJ axle via dealership $790Canadian
I ordered the universal xj/yj/tj PA6170L manufactured by Superior via summit for $79US

Back