• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

torque specs 95 4.0

jeepcomj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

I used to have access to alldata (apparently only until today????), and I'm in the middle of resealing a 1995 xj 4.0 HO. I've got it completely disassembled (pistons/rods still in) and need to know the torque specs....this is a motor for a friend, so I'm not spending my money on a tech book for his motor, since i've already spent more time than needed on this motor and am not billing him nearly enough (hey, what are friends for :sure: )

anyways, does anyone have torque specs for all of the main and rod caps, the main cap brace, oil pan, timing chain cover, harmonic balancer, head, and valve cover? also, are the 95 4.0 HO bolts torque-to-yield, or just hardened steel? I'm wondering if I need to replace the head bolts (yes, i know i should but if he can't pay for them, why should I?)

thanks guys. oh, an online tech book would serve me just as well...I have no problem looking this stuff up, but my searches didn't give me what I need

-Pat

My website (link in sig,) and go to the Tech Archive section - as I've been accumulating FSMs, those charts are growing.

AMC242 head screws are good for two torque cycles only - if there are paint marks on them, replace them. If there are not paint marks on them, mark them once you've torqued them down. It's a sort of "modified TTY" screw (yeah, I know - it's silly. But, it's what we're stuck with.)

I think I actually have 1995 specs up there - if I don't, you can bracket it with the 1994 and 199x (whatever after - 1996 or 1997, IIRC) and figure it's the same as those. I honestly don't think the torque specs changed overmuch from year to year.

I found this with the search http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36908&highlight=engine+torque+specs

The head bolts can be reused once. If there are paint marks on them don't use them again. It is best to replace them but there should be no problem using them over. Just put some bright paint on them so that anyone else in the future knows that they've been reused once already.I never have had trouble reusing them before.

Hope this helps

Edit- 5-90 beat me too it :)

THANKS a ton!

you've saved me some work...

:D

Blaine B. said:
What if somebody used the head bolts already and didn't mark them?

Although unlikely with the 4.0 to require the head to be off twice in its life.

Oops?

That's why I usually end up suggesting replacement outright - if you're not sure, don't take chances.

I'm also wondering if you can't get away with using SAE8 hex heads or socket heads to replace the OEM screws - those stud tops on the driver's side aren't specifically necessary (you'd have to relocate where the firewall ground strap attaches, but that's about the lot I think.)

Back