• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U-Joint Removal?

sWissfoo

NAXJA Forum User
im workin on my dads 04 f350, and i was wondering how to pull out the axle u-joints. i got the clips out but i cant get the u-joint out. i cant remeber how to pull them out. please help, thanks zach

beat the exposed cross down with a hammer, alternating sides, then when you get one cap off you use a punch to knock the other one out[of course remove the retaining clips first.]a c-clamp or a bench vise makes a good installation tool.

hey thanks for the help, we finally got them out. but now i cant get the axle seal on. this truck has been nothing but a pain in the ass. i wish i had air tools. i dont know why they made the fitting so snug for the axle seal. zach

Easiest and fastest way without a press is a big C clamp and 2 sockets. One socket has to be bigger than the cap (so it can slide in) and the other smaller (this will be the drive side). Now have a friend help you get them lined up and start cranking down on the C clamp and it pushes them right on out/ or back in when ready nice and smooth. I never use hammer unless last resort and then its a destruction hammer! Now once you get one side of the cap out just grab it with some channel locks and twist!

hope that helps......

thanks for all the help, luckly i used to work at a machine shop, so we just some brass hammers that i had made, it makes things easy and fast. just make sure things r lined up and hammer'em in. zach

To keep the needles in (whether we're using a u-joint tool, c-clamp, press, or hammer) we always fill the cups half way up with grease. That prevents the needles from falling in and being trapped in the cap. Broke a lot of needles before we started doing this.

Back