• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I have a manual trans, replacement radiator question

Wilbur

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a replacement radiator and it has auto transmission fittings for cooling the transmission. I have a manual transmission and dont need those fittings, the guy told me all the replacement radiators are the same, universal fit and that I just don't use the transmission fittings. I've been looking and now I can't find a radiator without transmission fittings. Is this normal for a replacement radiator?

thanks,
Will

Sure is Will.

I replaced the closed system recently with an open "public service" (read Cop package) and it has the tranny cooler ports too.

Plug 'em and don't sweat the extra fittings. Or, use 'em as a power steering fluid cooler.

Just plug them off - all replacement radiators have them.

No real benefit to using them for a P/S cooler - running relatively cool oil through an element surrounded by hot coolant doesn't make much sense. The reason it works for automatic transmissions is that the ATF tends to be warmer than the coolant, so it actually does reject some heat. Also, the "cooler" is used to warm up the fluid and get it to operating temperature more quickly on startup (since the coolant tends to get to engine temperature before the transmission gets to its operating temperature.)

I've done the same thing - just block off the ports and call it good.

haha, yeah its fun saying I live in Jupiter.

Jupiter, FL, nice place but I think eventually I'll be heading back to NC.

I need to venture over to where you live, never been to Cali.

Wilbur said:
haha, yeah its fun saying I live in Jupiter.

Jupiter, FL, nice place but I think eventually I'll be heading back to NC.

I need to venture over to where you live, never been to Cali.

I've been here eighteen years - no great shakes to me. Never really has been. I just got sent out here by the AF, and decided to muster out here (I grew up in IN, and I'd already done pretty much everything amusing there was to do there. Got myself a change of scenery, got myself a wife, and we're both about ready to leave.)

I'd forgotten about Jupiter, FL - but I was just messin' with your head anyhow. The human mind is my favourite plaything...:wow:

Back