• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header panel repair

Jeepm@n

NAXJA Forum User
Ok my 96 was in a wreck and I have all the parts I need to fix it and paint it. When I looked at the header panel I had, and noticed what looked to be chips along the edge by the hood. There was also a 3" long crack on the passenger side. It is not falling apart into pieces just cosmetic looks. What should I use to repair it before I paint it? Bondo, fiberglass resin, or whatever? Do I just wet sand it and shoot it with primer before I paint it?Second thing is this header panel is out of a 92 XJ from a junkyard. Is the Jeep logo molded onto the header panel or is it a stick on emblem? If it is stick on how do I remove the old one without screwing up my header panel?
I know where to get the logo if I do need to remove it.

Jeep008.jpg

did the same thing with mine...just replaced the whole front clip...as far as the jeep emblem, it is probably on there with heavy duty double sided automotive tape

and for removing it...heat the emblems up maybe with a hairdryer and take some fishing line and just pull it under each letter

My small crack is no where near that bad it's about as long as a credit card right above the headlight. Thanks for the tip on the emblem. I have a heat gun.

Jeepm@n said:
My small crack is no where near that bad it's about as long as a credit card right above the headlight. Thanks for the tip on the emblem. I have a heat gun.

yea mine was pretty bad. I had a head on collision with a kawasakii mule...thank goodness for a steel bumper...welcome!

My header panel had a small crack that I repaired with gorilla glue. For the damage you've got I'd get a replacement. You can find them new for reasonable amounts, or you can get them from the jy pretty easily too. They are not hard to remove.

use a thin steel putty knife to remove the letters, heat helps, use goof off or laquer thinner to clean the remains. and yes headers are cheap and available, don't even bother repairing if you are dealing with more than minor cracks.

live and learn, yes renix models are held on by nuts! I took the letters off my 95 when I repaired the header,but I'd never messed with my 87.I just checked & they are for sure. another bit of xj trivia is now in my memory banks.

Back