• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Window Wiring/Removal Help Needed

HawkZero

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97+ rear door that I got from the junkyard. I need to lower the window in order to prep the door for painting. How does one LOWER the electric window without hooking the door up. I have a 12v power supply, just need to know what wires to hook up to get power to the motor.

Diagrams or pics would help.

on the electric motor, there should be 2 contacts...
you have a 50 % chance of getting it right first time. if it goes up... swap the contacts.
it's really that easy. full voltage, 2 wires... have fun.

What is the amperage of the motor? My power supply doesn't seem to be able to hack lowering the window. Is there a risk of damaging the motor if I hook straight up to a car battery?

Basically, in a DC circuit (like automotive) a device will pull all the amperage it wants, (avaliable).
hook it up directly to a car battery..

years ago, my wife had a pontiac, which of course means her window switches were broken... they'd roll down fine.. .just not up.
She thought I was crazy when on her embarcation for an 800 mile drive, I pulled the speaker wire from my sub woofer and amp and tied directly to my battery, tore off the door panel, and rolled up her broken window with no more fuss than that. (it has always payed to leave a bit much wire for my subs.)
hook it straight, swap the wires if it tries to go the wrong direction.
you could even use the battery from your average cordless drill. (14 volt or 18 volt would work fine).
a body shop i know of has retrofitted a drill body to hook into doors for just this purpose. a box full of connnections, and they can move any window up or down at any time.

Back