• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do you fix this leak?

Cut the crimped flange off the hose, then replace the section of rubber line with standard trans cooler line held on with clamps.....

Cut the crimp parralel with the hose, so that you can peel it off.....

Under the crimp is a regular hose nipple, just silde the hose on and clamp it down.

As for the other end, you may need to replace the fitting on the cooler with a hose nipple before you can clamp the new hose on.....

Well, it does look reddish on the crimp. Are you sure it's tranny fluid? Looks like you have a leak from the pan that stops right above where the oil hits the line.

thats easy to fix duct tape if you cant duct it Fu** jk just cut off the old one and put it on with a new crimp should be able to get it at nap autozone or advanced good luck

The leak is NOT that severe. It's just a seep (unless it's leaving a puddle on your driveway).To fix it it with duct tape is silly and only a road/trail fix. Don't go the redneck fix way. Cut the hose and double clamp it. Pressure is not "high". Use 3/8" ID PS line, slip it over the 3/8" cut metal line and double clamp it, even without a flare it'll work fine. Mine has bee like that for 3 years and hasn't leaked or seeped a drop.

Happy trails.

Last edited:
hey im offended just kidding and the duct tape thing was just a joke too

OK, OK,

Sorry about the redneck inference in a negative light. I have lots of baling wire and duct tape at the ready. I have my emergency and "less than optimum" conditions alternatives. If you have all that in your arsenal you're better off. I once made a fan belt out of braided duct tape that lasted me about 50 miles to get me home, so if that isn't redneck, I don't know what is.

It's just that some of these fixes are so much easier done at home where you can get to things in your shop/driveway as opposed to a temporary fix on the side of the road. My first impulse is to fix things when I can do it here and to save me a roll in the dust/mud with less than favorable conditions.

Identify the problem and troubleshoot before you hit the road/trail. Save lots of headaches when you're supposed to be having fun, but keep the duct tape at he ready, and again, Happy Trails

Yeah, it's not a severe leak. I wanna catch it before it becomes one though. So, I cut the rubber hose, then pull the crimped piece of metal off? Will I have to 'unwrap' that crimped piece before it comes off of the metal tubing? What kind of clamps to use?

poorboy_616 said:
Cut the crimped flange off the hose, then replace the section of rubber line with standard trans cooler line held on with clamps.....

Cut the crimp parralel with the hose, so that you can peel it off.....

Under the crimp is a regular hose nipple, just silde the hose on and clamp it down.

As for the other end, you may need to replace the fitting on the cooler with a hose nipple before you can clamp the new hose on.....

Depending on which of the connectors it is on. From the looks of it, it seems it's on the radiator end, where the crimped end goes into the "quick-connect" fitting. So, and correct me if I'm wrong. If so, and you have some slack in the line. As poorboy said, cut the metal part parallel with the line and peel it apart. That will expose the end of the metal line with a stop, or kind of a makeshift flare or ridge (where the quick connect would latch onto). If it's the lower hose, that's the return or low pressure end. You can just push the hose onto that up to the ridge and clamp, or double clamp it (for good measure). Like so:

double.jpg

Now, to me, it looked as though there's a bit of greenish stuff on the bottom of the hose. So make sure it's not just coolant dripping down on to the hose giving it the "appearance" that it's leaking from the trans line. Cleaning the hose up might give you a better idea of where the leak is coming from.

Anyhoo, it's really the same procedure no matter which part of the line it's coming from, cut the metal connector parallel and peel it apart. That will give you the best contact to push a flat hose connection on to.

Also, if you have one of those funky stock trans coolers, and the questiuonable line is there it's really the same process. Like this:

Front.jpg

What I did was to eliminate the radiator loop altogether and just run it into an aftermarket HD trans cooler (note: I live where it rarely freezes and so really don't need the radiator "heat exchange loop" through the radiator).

I notr that you're in Idaho where it can get below zero, so you may want to keep that loop. Here's what my connection from the trans line out of the tranny and directly to the cooler, without the loop through the radiator, the cooler looks like:

trans001-1.jpg

I also have a trans temp gauge sender installed here, thus the wire.

...and now back to my glass of wine, good luck.

Back