• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Distributer or c.p.s.

JabosXJ

NAXJA Forum User
4.0 hard start

Ive been told that the pick up on my 89 4.0 xj was going out does any one know how to tell for sure . What I have going on is when I first start the jeep it starts decent but after it comes up to temp it is a pain to get started it seams like it turns over for ever before it starts and sometime it sounds like it has flooded when it gets started.

Last edited:
Does it stay running with a little throttle/brakes applied? Id try CPS I just bought a new Distributor, cap, rotor, wires, and plugs. Still having the problem. I'm going to do the CPS next.

This is after I did my TPS, Idle stepper motor, and IAC. Wish I could help more.

Hear any ticking? You might have a crack in the header manifold...or intake leak.

yeah try the cps, that sounds like your problem. you can test the volts, but i dont remember what voltage its supposed to be at.

OverTheHillsATTW said:
Does it stay running with a little throttle/brakes applied? Id try CPS I just bought a new Distributor, cap, rotor, wires, and plugs.
It starts and staws running its just a nusence.Something that I want to fix

If it runs and starts fine cold, but not hot, or visa versa, it is most probably the CTS (Coolant Temperature sensor) or MAT (Manifold Air temperature sensor, also called the IAT, Intake Air Temp sensor) that has stuck (gone bad) at a cold or hot temperature reading, thus causing to the ECU to run too rich or too lean, thus causing hard starts and rough running engines either hot or cold. They can both be tested with an ohm meter, hot and cold. The resitance table values are posted in about 20 threads in this forum for about 8 temperatures.

Back