• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission temp probe in AW4 stock location

smartazz19

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a mechanical tranny temp gauge in my 97 XJ using the factory hole right near the dipstick and and NSS nearest the outlet line. Just drivng around town today the temps got to 210 on average and 230 when climbing a hill. This is a stock XJ, no lift, no tires, not towing anything. Is this normal to have fluid temps that high before it is cooled? Ive read the articles, searched, but i never read about anybody using the stock location and their temps. Any ideas?

My first thought obviously is to add an aux cooler. But wanted to know if these temps are average. I saw people saying their trannys never get above 180 degrees, but where is your sender? Is it in the return line after the fluid is cooled, or fluid in the pan, or where?

wow. so, this little hole woulda been plugged with somethin. im thinkin this isnt for the temp gauge but for line pressure testin

I just realized I type like a moron when I'm drunk.

Last edited:
Back