• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Solid stok for Tie Rod

cardboard

NAXJA Forum User
I have come across some solid stock that is 1 1/4 " OD and was thinking about using it for a tie rod. I was just afraid it would be to heavy for that purpose. What do you think? I of course would have to have it board out to exept a tie rod end.
Thanx Cardboard

I was considering using the same stuff for a tie rod on mine but after thinking about and talking to some metal fabricators I am sure that solid stock will actually bend easier than let's say 1/4"wall 1 1/4" tube. Unless of course you are looking at some higher grade/tool steel then that's a different story....

snow580 said:
I was considering using the same stuff for a tie rod on mine but after thinking about and talking to some metal fabricators I am sure that solid stock will actually bend easier than let's say 1/4"wall 1 1/4" tube. Unless of course you are looking at some higher grade/tool steel then that's a different story....

This is true. Surface area is strength.

I don't know what the strength is. I just know it was originally intented for a Dodge truck front sway bar and the bar was bent in the wrong area, or the flat spot on each end where the bolt would go is not correct.
Cardboard
Oh well, I got it for free so if this wont work at least I have about 20 # of scrap metal to turn in.

cherokee chuck said:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: stock meant for a sway bar should be pretty rigid stuff. put it in a vise & try & bend it. if it won't bend , go for it. just an opinion though.

Don't be a donk...use your brain. What do swaybars do when they have stress on them? They bend/twist. That's probably because they're a big torsional spring. :laugh2:

DUH! this was evidently a fabbed up sway bar. was it made from hardened stock? just because it should have been doesn't mean it was. If it is spring steel it seems it would be suitable for a tie rod. it's not going to be under a torsional load & if it flexed I doubt if it would flex much & it would spring right back into shape.Cardboard said he did not know what the strength was,that is why I suggested trying to bend it.

Yesterday went to local pick-a-part and bought 4 V-8 Grand Cherokee front tie rods for $6.09 ea. Had to replace my stock '92 that I bent like a pretzel on the trail last week. BTW the V-8's are solid steel bar stock. Bought 4 for my '92 XJ, my '87 NJ, my buddies' '89 XJ, and a trail spare.

Back