• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5 speed ba-10 to AW4

Voluster

NAXJA Forum User
My buddy has a 88 manche and he cooked the ba-10 in the bad larry.

We have searced around local and only trannys we have found people want to retire on.

So heres the deal he has a 96 XJ with a Aw4 and 231 TC what we would like to do is swap the AW4 into his manche.

Can it be done? Anyone Done this?

What would be involved with the computer and whatnot to make it happen.

I know swaping the trannys and transfercases would be just bolting them up

Thanks

Phil

I believe you will need the transmission, transfer case, and driveshafts to make it work.

You will also need the transmission control unit (mounts behind the low trim panel on the passenger side - wiring is probably already there. If you can't find one, I should have a couple of "Worked When Pulled" units lying about...) and a new TPS (the auto one is different,) and you will probably need an A/T ECU (I think I have one or two of those around as well.) All of the wiring should be in place - including the 2x4 Deustch connector for the NSS. However, I've not done that conversion, so I'm not sure what work is entailed.

However, you can also swap in an AX-15 & transfer case - it's less work (no electronics, save reterminating the plug for the reverse lamp switch,) you can use the same driveshafts, and the only mechanical differences would be swapping out the hydraulics (if you go to external slave) and making sure the crossmember bolts up (you have to use the rearward holes to attach it to the framerails.) And possibly the pilot bushing - the clutch friction is the same.

The AX-15 is also widely available - late 1989-2000 XJ/MJ, most YJ & TJ, and Dakota (with a bellhousing swap.)

If you're really lucky, you can find an NV3550 donor (2001XJ, I think some TJ, and a few others. Uses the same bellhousing as the external-style AX-15...) but I'm not that lucky yet.

If you get the earlier "internal" AX-15, you can use the same clutch kit as your Peugeot - the only difference is the manner of connecting the hydraulics anyhow. If you get the later "external" AX-15, you will need to swap all of the hydraulics (master/slave/line,) but I consider it worth the trouble.

All in all, it will probably be far easier to swap in the AX-15 than to swap in the AW4 - especially with no electronics involved.

Thanks for the replies fellas

Yucca man thats a pretty detailed write up thanks

I printed it out of my buddy

I also metioned what 5-90 said about the ax 15 swap

He's still tossing it around

Thanks again

Voluster said:
Thanks for the replies fellas

Yucca man thats a pretty detailed write up thanks

I printed it out of my buddy

I also metioned what 5-90 said about the ax 15 swap

He's still tossing it around

Thanks again

You're welcome. I'm not trying to discourage him - if I were going to swap to a slushbox, I'd go with the AW4. I've seen them take some serious abuse!

However, I'm also offering him an out to save himself some work, if he's interested. I don't like the BA-10 - I've gone through four of them so far...

Just did that about 2 month ago in my 89.
I had a 90 parts donor.
If you are not that familiar with the process, get a complete donor of the same or close year and swap over what you need. It is so much easier to just walk over to a donor to get the part you need/forgot.

The manual engine harness will be missing a few connectors.
Such as the TCU, the second one on the TPS, 1 vs 2 for the tranny.
Also, some connectors between harness sections may be different.

I had to swap most of the engine harness (only the head light section stayed).
As I both were renix I could keep my computer.

The Throttle body on the 88 may not have th TV cable attachments. I swapped thats that too.

With the year differences you will need to swap both tranny & t-case as the output shafts have a different spline count.

Stu's site (see Jim's post above) on the swap was a great help.

Search on tranny swap. I found several write ups that help.
Also, a FSM is nice when hunting down any electrical issues.

I did pretty much the same swap into my 89 MJ, except the donor tranny was a 99 (which added another complication you shouldn't have to deal with.) The wiring will not be there, so you'd have to swap over the trans computer and its wiring harness and figure out where to splice the misc wires. As I recall it was only about 7 wires from the TCU that didn't either go to the tranny, tps, or to the diag connector and could be ignored.

Since you're using a 96 TCU, you will not need the Renix TPS sensor with the dual output. I think you can just splice it into the single output that's already there. (The 96 TPS input backwards from the 88 input, but the same as the input the 88 uses for the engine computer).

Back