• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project 5.0 install begins today

mk153smaw

NAXJA Forum User
Ok Gentleman, Ladies

Project 5.0 (it really is an 5.0ish might be 5.1) gets installed beginning today. It is well before orginall plan due to the my core dying on me recently this week.

I just finished painting the block and head Daytona Yellow in time luckily and some of the stuff got in from Hesco last night. With luck the water pump will make it today.

For those that don't know the motor. What makes it a 5.0? 4" pistons 4.06 crank (yes I paid for that, because I wanted to see the results) and I am using the long rod setup. We had to some very tricky adjustment of pin highth for quench, with the ideal CR to be around 8.8 to 9.2 in that zone. We want to be able to run pump gas. The math put us at 9.012, reality with gauges showed 8.9876 CR. We were very pleased with the result. We are using the Mopar performance .055 head gasket to open it up a bit which got our quench we needed.

the rest of the set-up is fairly strait forward:
Harland Sharp Adj Roller Rockers
Comp Cams Extreme 4X4 Cam for fuel inj extended duration to remove egr
Dbl Roller Time set
Stock Distibuter (I can adjust timing on my block)
OEM Oil Pump (no need for HV pump, don't want to walk the cam)
Using the '88 intake (I'll get into that later for why)
63mm TBI (Oletshot made this for me)
Hesco HiFlow water pump

Head Work:
2.02 Manley Titanium INT Valves
1.60 Manley Titanium EXT Valves
Pontiac Springs (Had to use those to fit the valves and seats properly)
Ported and Polished the bowls and runners for flow. To include shaving down the valve guides aerodynamicly.
Increased and reshaped cylinderhead combustion chamber area for better burn.
Gasket matched ports to the intake to lessen restrictive flows.

Machine work and parts just at the shop = $5000 parts from me ..... dont even ask. How long has this taken to put together? Hmmm been a while really, I would say over 10 months and one military deployment to pay for it and source parts and research.

Pictures will be forthcoming starting in the next hour as I change into the overalls and Mike Gronholtz gets off work in a bit.

Anyone in the Fort Worth are is welcome to come on by this weekend and watch/help/drink beer/ BBQ at the house while we screw with this thing. The motor was not supposed to be ready and is missing some key stuff, but gotta do what ya gotta do when your in a jam.

The only modified stroker they had on the dyno recently was a 4.6 with similar headwork and the '99 intake with the '96 computer system and '96 grey top injectors with adjustable fuel regulator pushed 300hp at 6 passes and very similar torque curves at mid range rpms (2500 to 3500).

That is not to say that is average performance. I do not know what other internal modifications could have been added to it. My machinist was the one present, whom I trust anyways, it was a Hesco motor (not like that matters) and dyno's do not account for real world drivetrain lag. Dyno will give you a decent ball-park figure of what you could expect though.

I am designed for 800 to 5000, with a upper destroy limit of 8000 (my rev limiter is 6000 though)

We are going to find out what kind of power once we get it in.... it never made it to the dyno.

DSCF0007.jpg

Now the new stuff:

DSCF0009.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

Those be 32cc 4.00" Pistons ;)

DSCF0012.jpg

Some of the runner work and valve guide shaping. Cannot do a whole lot with the thickness of the metal being questionable in some places. I had bought a second sister casting just to sacrafice under a band saw so we could get measurements of wall thicknesses for doing the runner work.

Good thing the weather is really cooperating today. the friggen humidity is really helping me stay motivated (n) and the heat just keeps :skull2: pushing up the meter ;)
I found the contacts in my water sensor in the block corroded away inside the plug, could have be a precursor to the motor dying out on me. I did over heat last night before siezing up.

That motor is a total beast.

Slo-Sho said:
350 or 400hp maybe?

If I get close to 300Hp at the wheels I will be happy. What I want is close to 300 FtLbs of torque at peak range though... that will be when I can say I did a good job. With Battlewagon being so light and my overall crawl ration being very steep I should have a decently economical vehicle (considering everything ofcourse). We are hoping for 16 - 17 Mpg. The is a current pool right now ranging from 13 to 17 with the machine shop guys, just a .50 cent game after the first 500 miles of keeping records after initial 2000 mile break in.

Clean-RC said:
I am curious about the specs on the crank please?? I like this thread already.. What length rod did you go with?

4.06 Stroke

4.0L Connecting Rod

To make the 4.06 Crank bascally get the 4.2L crank and add/remove. Use the heavy version of the crank, it came in a few diffrent flavors with a heavy one available. Fair warning, it will cost you. The crank was the single most expensive portion of this build being over $1100 by itself. You can make a 4.8 or 4.9 with the 4.2 crank without going overboard on it by just getting the .090 or .120 pistons. Plenty of meat on the Renix block.

Muad'Dib said:
Im sure we would love to hear more about your build on my forum...

www.jeepstrokers.com

I will. I got alot of good info from your forum and will definately post the full blueprint from the machineshop on there for anyone who wishes to make their own. At least now it is no more a notional "what if" for making the fabled 5.0 inline six. I can be done for under $10000 and I bet if some one is really good and has more connections than me, i could get done for under $6000. I doubt under $5000, the crank and pistons are kinda one shot deals at $1000 a pop.

Oh yeah, Number 3 and 4. Nice fun rusted head bolts. I am suspecting cracks when we finally lift off the head. almost done disecting the old motor. This heat is fairly brutal today. Just about time for some BBQ here in a bit and some application of hot tub time before removing the front clip.

We have recovered the old intake setup, distributer, still no sign of the water pump showing up from Hesco. I am prolly going to hit up O'Rielys then and get on of thier High volume pumps, I have read on some of the forums that they have a decent one that is somewhat better? Sucks, I am in a pinch with this being my DD.

Ok we are done for the night. Down to just the last little torx bolt on the tranny that marries the bell housing to the block. Time for some BBQ and beer. Tmorrow is removal of Block and install of new block and stuff.

Everyone who has work on a Jeep motor raise your hand.... everyone who loves those two stupid friggen male torx bolts in the rear of the block raise your hand.. go sit in the corner. :banghead:
The passenger side bolthead rounded on me, now I have to bust out the dremel and either grind the head off or get the cuting wheel in there and cut the head off :( who puts a torx bolt there?! THANK YOU MOPAR
Everytime I do one of these it always comes down to these two bolts, I even prepare for them, which is why the dremels are ready.

Are you talking about those E12 bolts? They make an E12 socket for those. The reason why they used those is on the assembly line the robots have an easier time 'grasping' those E12's than a standard 6 or 12 point fastener. You gotta figure back in those days they were pumping out probably around a 700 I6's a day.

:cheers: friggin awesome. I thought this thread was about stuffing a small block ford into an xj & had no interest in it.I'm trying to talk my son into the 4.5 stock piston stroker but wait untill he sees this. I'll be back.

DSCF0016.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

DSCF0018.jpg

DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0020.jpg

If I told you it went in like butter, would you believe me?

Slo-Sho said:
Are you talking about those E12 bolts? They make an E12 socket for those. The reason why they used those is on the assembly line the robots have an easier time 'grasping' those E12's than a standard 6 or 12 point fastener. You gotta figure back in those days they were pumping out probably around a 700 I6's a day.

That makes sense but doesn't explain why there are only two.

Oh yeah.... I spend an hour trying to get one of those stupid things out once.

Back