• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$800 4.5L stroker!!!!

hot_rod_hooligans

NAXJA Forum User
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

So a friend of mine got a free 4.0 from a 05 Rubicon with 11,000 miles on it, because one or two of the bolt bosses on the engine block where the engine mounts bolt to, broke off, and the guy just wanted it out of his garage. Lucky him.

Well the he decided not to swap it into his 98 Wrangler SE, because he couldn't afford the cost of the swap. So I offered to buy the head off of him for $200 bucks because it was about the only thing I could really use with out a lot of swapping this and that.

So we got to talking about it again a couple of weeks ago, and we worked out a deal where he would trade me the whole thing for the $200 I've already paid him for the head, in return for my engine when I pull it, kind of a core charge type thing.

So here I've been trying to figure out what to do with this thing, and WHAM!!!! I find these:
DSCN0926.jpg

M.O.R.E. bombproof block brackets!

So I'm going to hunt down a 4.2 crank and swap it in to the 05 engine and get these block brackets, and make the swap. Walla! A 4.5L stroker with 11,000 miles for about $800 bucks!:cheers::D :moon:

So here's the questions, what will this do to the compression ratio? And aside from increasing fuel, what else should I look at, that will need up grading(cam, ignition)?

THERE will also answer what to do for the high compression ratio. My thinking is a short overlap high reversion cam could do it. It would sound mean, leave you no vacuum, and rev a lot, like a Comp Cams Thumpr.

Sounds like buying a $300 Ebay lift kit.

Its gonna cost you another $1000 to make your $800 stroker work. :)

cherokee chuck said:
gracias-I'm an old timer to off roading but a newbie to computers.

No problem. =]

Thanks for being sensible and not defensive about it.

:peace:

Well this may not be as cheep/easy as I thought, I was tooling around over at www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com and found a few suggested set ups:

4.5L "Poor man's" simple stroker

Jeep 4.2L 3.895" stroke crank
Jeep 4.2L 5.875" rods
Sealed Power 677CP standard bore pistons
9.2:1 CR
Stock 4.0 camshaft
Ported HO 1.91"/1.50" cylinder head
Mopar/Victor 0.043" head gasket
0.088" quench height
Ford 24lb/hr injectors with stock 39psi FPR for '87-'95 engines, stock injectors with stock 49psi FPR for '96 and later engines
247hp @ 4900rpm, 300lbft @ 3500rpm

4.5L Low-buck simple stroker

Jeep 4.2L 5.875" rods
Jeep 4.0L 3.875" standard bore pistons
9.7:1 CR
CompCams #68-231-4 206/214 degree camshaft
Stock 0.051" head gasket
0.081" quench height
Ford 24lb/hr injectors with adjustable FPR or MAP adjuster for '87-'95 engines, Ford 24lb/hr injectors with stock 49psi FPR for '96 and later engines
266hp @ 4950rpm, 322lbft @ 3500rpm

I'm still not sure if I want to with new pistons or a new cam, I'll have to figure out cost of each, and I'm looking at options of using E85 to offset the need for premium fuel.

Last edited:
hot_rod_hooligans said:
So I'm going to hunt down a 4.2 crank and swap it in to the 05 engine and get these block brackets, and make the swap. Walla! A 4.5L stroker with 11,000 miles for about $800 bucks!:cheers::D :moon:

you need 4.2 connecting rods too. and the crankshaft will probably have to be machined o nthe nose to fit the 4.0 block.

TiRod said:
THERE will also answer what to do for the high compression ratio. My thinking is a short overlap high reversion cam could do it. It would sound mean, leave you no vacuum, and rev a lot, like a Comp Cams Thumpr.

the only problem I can see with that is I still hit the trails, and idle along most of the time, a cam like that may be more of a headache.

hot_rod_hooligans said:
Well this may not be as cheep/easy as I thought, I was tooling around over at www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com and found a few suggested set ups:

4.5L "Poor man's" simple stroker

Jeep 4.2L 5.875" rods
Sealed Power 677CP standard bore pistons
9.2:1 CR
Stock 4.0 camshaft
Mopar/Victor 0.043" head gasket
0.088" quench height
Ford 24lb/hr injectors with stock 39psi FPR for '87-'95 engines, stock injectors with stock 49psi FPR for '96 and later engines
247hp @ 4900rpm, 300lbft @ 3500rpm

4.5L Low-buck simple stroker

Jeep 4.2L 5.875" rods
Jeep 4.0L 3.875" standard bore pistons
9.7:1 CR
CompCams #68-231-4 206/214 degree camshaft
Stock 0.051" head gasket
0.081" quench height
Ford 24lb/hr injectors with adjustable FPR or MAP adjuster for '87-'95 engines, Ford 24lb/hr injectors with stock 49psi FPR for '96 and later engines
266hp @ 4950rpm, 322lbft @ 3500rpm

I'm still not sure if I want to with new pistons or a new cam, I'll have to figure out cost of each, and I'm looking at options of using E85 to offset the need for premium fuel.

Sounds Just like a TITAN stroker motor, and we all know how they last..especially with a STOCK cam.. Best of luck in your $800 build.. better budget another $800 to replace it when it grenades.. Im not saying it can't be done, just not done right for that price..

Clean-RC said:
Sounds Just like a TITAN stroker motor, and we all know how they last..especially with a STOCK cam.. Best of luck in your $800 build.. better budget another $800 to replace it when it grenades.. Im not saying it can't be done, just not done right for that price..
hot_rod_hooligans said:
Well this may not be as cheep/easy as I thought,

I'm debating cost and headache to build the stroker, vs just putting the bombproofs on and dropping it in. But with such a cheep, low milage engine, it'd be easy to work with, being a nearly brand new engine, it's a great candidate for stroker work, so long as I leave it at 4.5L. I could port the combustion chambers a little and go with a thicker head gasket to help lower compression, on top of the possible lower compression pistons.... but I'm still researching.

LOL...internets...

jk333 said:
you need 4.2 connecting rods too.
you can keep the 4.0 connecting rods if you use keith black's new forged stroker pistons. they have a couple different compression ratios to choose from.

hot_rod_hooligans said:
the only problem I can see with that is I still hit the trails, and idle along most of the time, a cam like that may be more of a headache.

That cam will be fine. Most of us that have strokers run that or a similar cam, and there are no negatives or loss of low end power, or loss of vacuum. Really, that's still a pretty mild cam. You just need a little extra overlap to bleed off a little compression at lower rpm to reduce a tendancy to ping with the higher compression ratio and less than ideal quench height.

Extra expense goes into a stroker when you want to avoid using premium gas, and if you want to maximise the power available from the increased displacement.

Back