• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 XJ 8.25 Question or Advice

comancheon33

NAXJA Forum User
All right here is what I got. Trying to put my XJ together on a budget.

Earlier this year I bought a high milage 99 XJ sport 4 door with a bad 4.0. I got a great deal on it and swapped in a used ZJ motor I had laying in the shop. Other than small issues it has been great to me. I installed a 3 inch lift 31 and converted the rear brakes to ZJ disc before I even drove it with the swapped in motor.

Last week I drove it 650 miles each way to Colorado for a long weekend out of town. A friend of mine lives out there so we on a few easy trails. For the trip I put on 30x9.50s on make it easier on the gas gauge. Anyways here is where I am looking for some advice.

Yesterday I went out and bought a 94 XJ 2.5 5 speed 4x4 D30 and 8.25 with 4.10s for $250. It drove home even though it knocked and started overheating. I am planning swapping in these axles under my 99 XJ after I change the rear carrier to the 29 spline. I plan on adding on another 1.5 inches to get me up 4.5 inches and 32s or 33s.

Now here are my questions and yes I have searched but could not find what I am looking for.

I wanna a locker of some type for the 8.25. I am planning on a lockrite up front in the 30. What lockers have any of you ran in your 8.25s? Where did you get them? How do you like it?
Also I am gonna do a hack and tap or SYE and run a front shaft in the rear. Who do you recommend for that also?
I hate to sound like a newb but I wanna get the XJ ready to go out there again to hit some harder trails but don't want spend 10k to get there. Thanks in advance.

I ve been running an ARB in my 8.25 for 4 years now. Love it ,no problems at all. I believe I got it from a vender off of Pirate4x4.
I think you would be fine with any SYE just shop around for a good deal. The hack and tap needs straight cutting and drilling but thats all.

PowerTrax No-Slip for the 8.25. Well behaved for a lunch box locker, works great in snow and on the trails. I have another one for the HP D30 that I am getting ready to install.

Rubicon Express Hack and Tap, with an XJ front drive shaft on the rear. Use the Dana Spicer 211229x flange to adapt the drive shaft. Now I just carry 1 spare drive shaft for front or rear use.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
comancheon33 said:
I am planning swapping in these axles under my 99 XJ after I change the rear carrier to the 29 spline.

So you are going to use the shafts and carrier from your '99 with the gears and axle from the '94? You might as will just leave the '99 axle under your Jeep and use only the gears from the '94 in it. Either way you have to go though the gear set-up procedure but at least you won't have to change out the whole rear axle.

Detroit here. Its help up well to my abuse. Im on 35s w/ 4.56 and the only problem Ive ever had was when I broke an axle shaft the same side of the Detroit broke too. I still drove 200mi home on it, but it was deffentally open carrier, and sketchy.
Personally thats still what Id recomend, bar none.

comancheon33 said:
All right here is what I got. Trying to put my XJ together on a budget.

Earlier this year I bought a high milage 99 XJ sport 4 door with a bad 4.0. I got a great deal on it and swapped in a used ZJ motor I had laying in the shop. Other than small issues it has been great to me. I installed a 3 inch lift 31 and converted the rear brakes to ZJ disc before I even drove it with the swapped in motor.

Last week I drove it 650 miles each way to Colorado for a long weekend out of town. A friend of mine lives out there so we on a few easy trails. For the trip I put on 30x9.50s on make it easier on the gas gauge. Anyways here is where I am looking for some advice.

Yesterday I went out and bought a 94 XJ 2.5 5 speed 4x4 D30 and 8.25 with 4.10s for $250. It drove home even though it knocked and started overheating. I am planning swapping in these axles under my 99 XJ after I change the rear carrier to the 29 spline. I plan on adding on another 1.5 inches to get me up 4.5 inches and 32s or 33s.

Now here are my questions and yes I have searched but could not find what I am looking for.

I wanna a locker of some type for the 8.25. I am planning on a lockrite up front in the 30. What lockers have any of you ran in your 8.25s? Where did you get them? How do you like it?
Also I am gonna do a hack and tap or SYE and run a front shaft in the rear. Who do you recommend for that also?
I hate to sound like a newb but I wanna get the XJ ready to go out there again to hit some harder trails but don't want spend 10k to get there. Thanks in advance.

your gonna want a tom woods CV shaft, not a front auto's, it may run fine on the road but off road it will flex out too much for the u-joints to handle and snap. As for the rear id say go with a powertrax no slip...

Durango-Bob said:
So you are going to use the shafts and carrier from your '99 with the gears and axle from the '94? You might as will just leave the '99 axle under your Jeep and use only the gears from the '94 in it. Either way you have to go though the gear set-up procedure but at least you won't have to change out the whole rear axle.

its easier to swap an axle than it is to swap gears haha

I am running a Lock Rite in my 8.25 rear end. It works absolutely great, gives NO PROBLEMS AT ALL, it was cheap, and I WOULD NEVER DO IT AGAIN. It clanks and clinks and clunks, and people think I am in the process of breaking down. I am putting
an Aussie Locker in the front. Richmond makes a more expensive model that is still a quick mount that is MUCH QUIETER.

Do a real SYE. Ive had both SYE and H&T. Never had an issue with using front shafts either. 6.5" lift on 35's. I can send you my welded 29 spline carrier...CHEAP!!! Going backwards in my build!

emr1101 said:
your gonna want a tom woods CV shaft, not a front auto's, it may run fine on the road but off road it will flex out too much for the u-joints to handle and snap. ..

How and why would the drive shaft "flex out" and snap? All the other Cherokee owners who have done this mod don't have that problem. (See picture above of me in Moab)

To the OP - The No-Slip is very well behaved for a Lunchbox locker. It clunks now and then, is silent around corners, and only has let out a loud bang maybe twice in two years.

Back