• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fender Woah's... Need help

crazyjim

NAXJA Forum User
So recently, I decided to drop the coin, and buy some fiberglass fenders. I decided to take a different route from the normal, ajax or hanneman fenders, and take a chance on the glassworks fenders. I loved they way they looked on the site, nice clean factory lines.

I called Tim, the owner of Glassworks and told him I'm interested in picking up a set. He assured me they were ready to bolt on and ready to paint. So I drove to Huntington and picked up a set. $400 later I come home with these...

Notice they're neither bolt on, OR ready to paint. I'm relatively dissapointed.

DSCF3001.jpg

Here you can see the 5/8" that the fender sits above the hood. I understand trimming, but this appears to be a problem with how they have the rail molded. It's too low and at an angle, with a radius. Just overall poor quality on the workmanship.

DSCF3004.jpg

DSCF3014.jpg

Here you can see the gap difference between the hood, front to back:

DSCF3005.jpg

DSCF3006.jpg

And the gap at the door, top to bottom:

DSCF3007.jpg

DSCF3008.jpg

DSCF3009.jpg

DSCF3010.jpg

And here's the "ready to paint" surface that came out of the mold:

DSCF3015.jpg

DSCF3016.jpg

I've got a fiberglass guy who lives across the street from me, that turns out some of the NICEST trike bodies I've ever seen. So there is no excuse for this type of thing I don't think. I've SEEN good fiberglass. He attributes the pot marks (which don't bother me nearly as much as the fitment issues) to a bad mold, that hasn't been taken care of, and rarely waxed if ever. The fitment issues he believes are either caused from pulling them from the mold before it was ready to come out, which would make sense if they're just churning fenders out. OR they were fitted on an XJ that had been wrecked. I'm not quite sure what to do at this point, and I'm waiting to speak to Tim from glassworks tomorrow.

Just food for thought, here's the pictures from his site:

d-51-75.jpeg

d-51-77.jpeg

t-51-46.jpeg

Jim, it sucks, but is a fairly common problem with glass, it will need massaging..

crazyjim said:
That's massaging? Seriously? Were yours this bad? And who did them?

Yeah, part of it is actually bolting them on....when you bolt them on, they typically close up some of those gaps...mine were pretty similar, my brother and I go a sander and cleaned them up...my doors were almost identical to yours.

Also, that black XJ, i bet you he had to do the same massaging...

Yep sorry to say but I had the same issues, the only difference is I bought my glass for 20 bucks!!:doh: I got real lucky on them, I'll just say that. Anyways I did sand them down a little, they still dont fit perfect, but they fit good enough, good luck!!

I have the exact same problem with mine 6" bulge flattops they stick out a little on the passenger side screw it its going to get romped on anyways

My Ajax fenders practically installed themselves.

Definately not bolt on. If you haven't done anything on them, I'd take them back. They're just going to get broken on the first rock they hit anyway. :)

where you get the flares from. check out www.polyperformance.com . they had their shop a couple blocks from where i used to live. they were building up a jeepspeed cherokee. thing was bad ass

Condolences on the plastic... but whats up in the 6th. & 8th. picts. ?
Is that six toes in the reflection ? No wonder your CRAZY !! :looney:

Good luck with the fenders... Frodo

Curt

its glass, not made to be pretty. they just pump those fenders out to racers that trash em. you should see how bad my hannemans line up, i have a bigger gap at the a pillar than you on my pass side.if you want it to be pretty start sanding, they dont make em to be perfect, they make as many as they can as fast as they can cause they sell the sh$t out of em.

if you dont like em call em up and send em back. they should have a return policy.

tcm glx said:
Jim, it sucks, but is a fairly common problem with glass, it will need massaging..

They look more like they need a chiropractor!

I would expect something like this from $200 ebay knock offs or something but that's way off!

I'd ask for either my money back or a partial credit since they aren't direct bolt on as promised!

they never fit perfectly. Such is the nature of the beast. If you want it to look perfect you could always drop a bunch more coin and have a body shop install them, they will snug up a bit better if you drill the holes right and mount them nice and tight, mine still have gaps though.
good luck.

Wow, well that's a bummer... I would have thought that glassworks fenders might fit a tad better than this. This isn't what I had in mind when I thought massaging and fitting.

Oh well, either I'll take 'em back and run stock fenders or I'll eff these up trying to get them mounted. We'll see.

as bad as they fit & the finish is Jim I would take them back & see if they have another set.. Those fit worse than crap & shouldn't be that much work. I bought a set for my Ranger from GW & there was very little work needed to fit them.

hellbilly04 said:
as bad as they fit & the finish is Jim I would take them back & see if they have another set.. Those fit worse than crap & shouldn't be that much work. I bought a set for my Ranger from GW & there was very little work needed to fit them.
Yea I think that's gonna be my best bet, it just pisses me off I have to drive BACK down to huntingon AGAIN with gas being at 4.60/gal. Oh well I'm still trying to get ahold of Tim. Thanks though, glad to hear SOMEONE got a decent product from them.

get em trained down to me & I will take care of it for you. I will even test fit them on my Jeep to make sure their a perfect fit :D

crazyjim said:
Yea I think that's gonna be my best bet, it just pisses me off I have to drive BACK down to huntingon AGAIN with gas being at 4.60/gal. Oh well I'm still trying to get ahold of Tim. Thanks though, glad to hear SOMEONE got a decent product from them.

Back