• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

slight speed specific wobble in steering wheel?

MPETESS10

NAXJA Forum User
background info
99 XJ 4.0 5spd 92k miles 2" BB 30x9.50's
has been doing it since I bought it at 66k miles

I can feel a slight wobble in my steering wheel between 50-60 mph with the worst of it at 54-55 or so.
ok first thing everyone will think is wheel balance.
ITS NOT
I know this because I have had my first set of tires on 2 different sets of wheels then another set of wheels with 2 different sets of tires and now another completely different set of wheels and tires within the last 2 years. it has done it with every setup no matter what. now granted none of tires were bought brand new but I find it kinda hard to beleive that 4 different sets of tires and 4 sets of wheels all have the EXACT same problems.

the only other symptoms I have is the vibes are WORSE when the jeep is cold in the morning after sitting overnight or all day at work. outside temps have no effect on this. also when going around turns at slower speeds like 25-30 mph I can feel another weird "wobble" sensation coming thru the steering wheel.

my question is what does the expert group here at NAXJA feel my problem might be.

the temp sensitivity leads me more towards it being a unit bearing but I would like somone else to confirm my thoughts or possibly give me some other ideas. if it is a unit bearing how would I tell which one.
I was possibly thinkin a driveshaft issue but that doesnt seem like something that would cause a wobble while turning it would do it all the time right?
I was also thinkin maybe something axle shaft related due to the wobble while turning. would a bad axle shaft u-joint do something like this and if so how would I tell which side it may be?

any help is greatly appreciated.
I have attempted to search but most of my searches bring back PAGE UPON PAGE of death wobble threads because apparently no matter what the problem is EVERY vibration from the front of an XJ is suspected DW and deserves its own thread

well, i have a "shudder" or "vibe" when my xj is cold and ive thought it was tranny engine related, but i still havnt been able to figure it out..... been 3 months.....

Very possible it is the wheel bearing. Although it could also be the front axle u-joint starting to seize up. Jack up the front end and with the wheels still on see if you have any play, both up and down and side to side. Then grab the axle shaft and see if you have play at the u-joint. Keep in mind this is with the Jeep in 2wd. Anytime I replace the front hub bearing I replace the axle u-joint while I'm in there.

Here is a link GoJeep recommends for hub bearings.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190163305317&rd=1

Start to spray the hub bolts and the spindle nuts with PB Blaster. Good Luck

rogersjeep said:
Have you changed your sterring dampner?
no
but the way I understand it the dampner is never the cause of a problem
but when you replace it it "covers" the real problem up and makes the person "think" the problem is gone
a steering stabilizer is not a part that I would think would "cause" vibes to come thru the steering wheel especially speed or turning related it would merely allow other problems to be easier noticed once it starts to wear out and once replaced would only mask a problem

thanks for the tips jeepm@n I plan on doin some investigating this weekend and see what I come up with

I HAD A WOBBLE IN MY 93 AND MY TIRES WERE SEPERATED THEN I BOUGHT NEW TIRES FROM SCHWABS AND IT STILL WOBBLED IT ALL ENDED UP BEING THE FRONT HUB BEARINGS WERE BOTH SHOT AND THE U JOINT ON THE PASSENGER SIDE WAS TOAST IF ITS WOBBLING JACK UP ONE SIDE AND SEE IF THE TIRE JIGGLES BACK AND FORTH IF IT DOES THEN ITS UR HUBS
:idea:

chomanch said:
I HAD A WOBBLE IN MY 93 AND MY TIRES WERE SEPERATED THEN I BOUGHT NEW TIRES FROM SCHWABS AND IT STILL WOBBLED IT ALL ENDED UP BEING THE FRONT HUB BEARINGS WERE BOTH SHOT AND THE U JOINT ON THE PASSENGER SIDE WAS TOAST IF ITS WOBBLING JACK UP ONE SIDE AND SEE IF THE TIRE JIGGLES BACK AND FORTH IF IT DOES THEN ITS UR HUBS
:idea:

WELCOM ABOARD!! Chomanch.. It very well could be but just for fun check steering parts.Box ect.......

JACK

Back