• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 axle flip?

Red October

NAXJA Forum User
Picked up an explorer 8.8 from the junkyard yesterday w/ 4.10, lsd, and disks (got it for 150 complete with flange). The question i have is this; While searching for various install pics i have wondered if this rear can be flipped to a high pinion with some reverse cut gears? I found some made by motive for the front of the f150 trucks, but i was wondering if they would hold up to the stresses of the abuse i put this jeep through.

99 AW4, np231, 8.5" LA and leaf rear w/33x12.50

and before the flames begin yes i have searched... didnt find this one anywhere

Red October said:
Picked up an explorer 8.8 from the junkyard yesterday w/ 4.10, lsd, and disks (got it for 150 complete with flange). The question i have is this; While searching for various install pics i have wondered if this rear can be flipped to a high pinion with some reverse cut gears? I found some made by motive for the front of the f150 trucks, but i was wondering if they would hold up to the stresses of the abuse i put this jeep through.

99 AW4, np231, 8.5" LA and leaf rear w/33x12.50

and before the flames begin yes i have searched... didnt find this one anywhere

A few things there... the pinion oiling passage will be on the bottom now and not have a good flow at all of oil to the outer pinion bearing.

Next is WTF.. 8.5" lift with 33's? :confused1

you do realise that a low pinion casting and a high pinion casting are completely different correct? and that you cant just flip a low pinion casting and BOOM its a high pinion right?

the High Pinion / reverse cut 8.8 gears that you found are for an IFS centersection for an Excursion...

interestingly though - Currie uses thoes gears in their High pinion Ford 9" setup with a custom casting...

XJ_ranger said:
you do realise that a low pinion casting and a high pinion casting are completely different correct? and that you cant just flip a low pinion casting and BOOM its a high pinion right?

Sure you can.. but your correct.. Give it a short period of time and either the tranny will garnade at speeds (since your in reverse now to go forward) or the pinion bearing will seize. Or your rig will tear in half when you lock in 4wd.... :passgas:

thanks guys thats what i needed to know. also the 8.5" is net after everything has settled out.... looks kinda goofy so im going to 35's next month

XJ_ranger said:
the High Pinion / reverse cut 8.8 gears that you found are for an IFS centersection for an Excursion...

Expedition.

Excurion has a Dana 50 solid front axle :illegalflipoffsmilie:

cracker said:
Expedition.

Excurion has a Dana 50 solid front axle :illegalflipoffsmilie:
the 3/4 ton comes with a solid front axle? no...

at least not the 2wd lifted ones :D

Last edited:
XJ_ranger said:
the 3/4 ton comes with a solid front axle? no...

at least not the 2wd lifted ones :D

Actually it does. Farmer Matt has one. It is the same axle I have in my F-250.

My old lifted 2WD Expy had IFS.

Red October said:
thanks guys thats what i needed to know. also the 8.5" is net after everything has settled out.... looks kinda goofy so im going to 35's next month
that wont help much, you're still 3" too high for 35s haha.

If you simply flip an axle and put it back in, given the same direction of rotation of the driveshaft, your wheels will drive in the opposite direction.

In order to overcome this problem, the pinion has to move to the other side of the ring gear. Just getting reverse cut gears does not address this problem.

So in short, your answer is

NO

old_man said:
If you simply flip an axle and put it back in, given the same direction of rotation of the driveshaft, your wheels will drive in the opposite direction.

In order to overcome this problem, the pinion has to move to the other side of the ring gear. Just getting reverse cut gears does not address this problem.

So in short, your answer is

NO

So.. Then What If. You take a rear and flip it and put it in the front :read:

BrettM said:
i hope that was sarcasm.... the answer is NO! the front driveshaft spins the other way so your front axle would try going backwards while your rear goes forward... talk about suspension jacking!!

Wait who you refering to? lol :gonnablow

Back