• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lunchbox Locker Longevity

Muddy90XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just got finished installing 4.56 gears and a Lockright in my rear Dana 44. Getting ready to install 4.56's and a Lockright in my front 30 as well. My XJ is a part time daily driver and I was just wondering how long you guys have gotten out of your lunchbox lockers.

P.S. If your still running 3.55's with your 32's YOU need to go to 4.56's. Now that I have them I can't believe I drove it without them.

Ive had my front aussie locker for 4 years now, and havent had an issue with it once...

I installed my rear Powertrax? <-- not sure on the brand Summer 2006, and daily drove for another year, and its still working just as good as the day I installed it...

Iam In the 2nd year with lockrites and 488 gears. 30 in front and 44 rear. No problems so far, knock on wood. I Just got my 35s on so the next test begins.

Muddy90XJ said:
Yes. I have a 90 with the disco-30. So it's not any problem as long as I don't put it in 4wd.

yeah good idea my cousin destroyed the front axle he swapped in to his powerCHOKE. they guy told him it was a 4.10 to match the rear buy it was a 4.11. Didn't turn out well. Thank God my aunt gave him the WJ to drive. I think she just wanted the WK she bought shortly afterwards:dunno:

FlexdXJ said:
yeah good idea my cousin destroyed the front axle he swapped in to his powerCHOKE. they guy told him it was a 4.10 to match the rear buy it was a 4.11. Didn't turn out well. Thank God my aunt gave him the WJ to drive. I think she just wanted the WK she bought shortly afterwards:dunno:

I'm calling BS

a 4.10 vs a 4.11 will not prove to be a noticable and detremental gear ratio difference.

IslanderOffRoad said:
I'm calling BS

a 4.10 vs a 4.11 will not prove to be a noticable and detremental gear ratio difference.

x2

i have only had my no-slip in since march or so, but i frequently beat it and it's my DD. only have a few thousand miles on it, but it's holding up fine.

my friend has a lock right in his yota 8.4 with 20k+ on it no problems, original springs and stuff. i've driven it and it feels fine.

i think as long as you have good lube in the diff it should be fine, kinda like, when was the last time you heard of spider gears "wearing out?" they blow up for sure... but i've never seen em wear out.

Muddy90XJ said:
Yes. I have a 90 with the disco-30. So it's not any problem as long as I don't put it in 4wd.

Ah, without the disco you would still be causing wear in your TC... didn't know if you knew so I wanted to pass it on.

I ran mine with mixed ratios for a few months. Non disco 30 with the front shaft in, never did any harm. When I did my SYE the t-case looked great, especially considering my rig had about 201K when I did the SYE.

Onto the original question. The lockright I had in my 91 Toyota had about 60K miles on it when I sold the truck, it was working just fine at that point. My current lockright has about 15-20K on it approx and is going fine. My front aussie has about 5K on it.

IslanderOffRoad said:
I'm calling BS

Aren't they the same gear ratio, just different nomenclature? Otherwise, what tooth ratios are those????

Edit: Got my answer

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-116292.html

WillyPete
02-16-2003, 12:09 PM
the difference between 4.10 and 4.11 is that 4.10s have 41 ring gear teeth and 10 pinion teeth. 4.11s have 37 ring gear teeth and 9 pinion teeth. same way that 45 ring gear teeth and 11 pinion teeth will give you 4.09s.

"The reason for the very slight differences in axle ratios like 4.10 and 4.11 is because of the slight ring gear diameter difference between the front and rear axles. It's just not cost effective for the gear manufacturers to try and make the ratio exactly the same since that slight .01 or so difference doesn't affect anything."

Last edited:
My D/D/work truck/offroad Toyota p/u has had a rear Lock-Rite in it for about 5yrs (probably over 100,000 miles) t/c has 4.7s and axles are at 5.29s pushing 35s so, there's plenty of torque going through it (I wheel it pretty hard) and it's still holding up fine. I should probably put new springs and pins in it but, I haven't had any problems (knock on wood!) yet. My early Bronco has had an L.A. Locker (that's what the Lock-Rites used to be called way back) in the front end for about sixteen years now and has survived a couple of grenaded axles.....the kind of breakages that have been known to break Detroits!.......they hold up pretty well:)---------Hans

I put about 40K on a rear lock-rite in a CJ-5. It(the axle) was fine when the trans gave up.

icewolf73 said:
Ah, without the disco you would still be causing wear in your TC... didn't know if you knew so I wanted to pass it on.
Exactly what would he be hurting in his transfer case w/o a disco axle that he not's hurting with a disco axle? Unless you didn't notice the front driveshaft spins in a disco axle axle like it does in a non-disco axle.

But a lunchbox locker will last quite a long time as long as you change your fluid regularly and don't run it long if ya do go wheeling and fill it with mud and gunk. I suggest an Aussie locker due it's simplicity and less working parts. I have on ein my D30 in my CJ and love it. Plan on putting it in my XJ when I get 44 for my CJ front.

My son's XJ has a Lock-Rite, I'm too damn paranoid (not to mention old) to spend time with a lunch box. I order in...
But realy, I have heard some things about them (that delay when the wheels spin) that made me just opt for a Detroit Locker.
But I will tell you, I have yet to have to drag anyone off the trail who had a
lunch box locker break....

Muddy90XJ said:
Just got finished installing 4.56 gears and a Lockright in my rear Dana 44. Getting ready to install 4.56's and a Lockright in my front 30 as well. My XJ is a part time daily driver and I was just wondering how long you guys have gotten out of your lunchbox lockers.

P.S. If your still running 3.55's with your 32's YOU need to go to 4.56's. Now that I have them I can't believe I drove it without them.

Yeah, I can't wait to get some damn gears and get them installed. The more I think about it, the more I hate my 3.55's.

I have a Aussie in my D30 and I dont have no delay in wheel spin except the play thats into the DS end. But I do get a lots of poping sound.

Back