• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

going lower with 37's

flexdout

NAXJA Forum User
Ok heres the delima. My XJ is way to tall (feel free to bash!) and the COG is killing me on simple trails here in Florida. I recently did a trip to Hardrock in Ocala which has some varied climbs and places to twist it up a bit.
xj2.jpg

xj3.jpg

My COG killed me on a few climbs that turned mid way up. So now I am stuck in a position to take it down a notch. I currently have a 8" LA kit with 1.75 pucks up front and 1.5" shackles in the rear. I dont have a rubbing issue in the front cause Im bumpstopped properly and the rear will lift a tire before it hits body.
HPIM1428.jpg

Now the ?
I am in the process of stretching the rear axle back 5" (waiting on driveshaft to finish) so I wont have the door side fender clearence issue from the tire anymore. My delima is how low can I go on 37's. Im looking for like 4.5-5.5" range. Ill settle for 6" if thats it but I would really like to getthis thing back down into a comfortable COG range so I dont have the issues I had at Hardrock. I have a trip planned late in the year to Tellico and I dont want to experience the same hassles I had here in Florida!

You can drop down to 4.5" and clearance them no problem. Ktmracer419 is running between 3-4" on his 37s

GauchoMD said:
By the way, haha, those super tall rigs look badass until you actually take them wheeling huh?

Ya thats what everyone keeps saying. "Your gonna lower it? It looks so badass!" I did the 8" LA to clear the 37's and it was fine. I had the BB from the previous lift and installed it for added lift before I got smart and took the "bumpstop it so it dont rub" route. The trip to Hardrock is the 1st wheeling expedition its been on that it actually got off center. Remember this is Florida lots of mud and sand, not many places to crawl/climb around here. Ive been toying with the comp cut idea for the rear and Im sure that would let me go down to 4" or so but Im not sure about it yet as I still wanna keep the Jeep fully inclosed.

Krazors001 said:
You can drop down to 4.5" and clearance them no problem. Ktmracer419 is running between 3-4" on his 37s

I have a buddy who has 4.5 RE leafs that is willing to trade me I was just curious if I could clear. I still have my 6.5" coils from the previous lift Ill probably put back up front. Like I said I dont have a rub issue in the front cause its bumpstoped accordingly. We lifted it on the forklift and about an inch before it hit the fender we measured the inside of the compressed spring with no bumpstop in it to get the right length. And I cut down some really long bumpstops to fit the exact measurement.

Honestly the height is impressive (to other XJ owners locally) as it towers over just about everyone Im around. But its not functional at all and it took me almost flopping 3 or 4 times to realize that. So I had my fun with the height and have the pictures for memories but now its time to make it functional!

Im at about 5" of lift with 35's -
stp82834.jpg

I only have about 4" of uptravel in the front, any more than that and my trackbar hits my oilpan - im thinking about re-designing my steering / trackbar again to see if I cant get another inch or two out of it.

it fully stuffs up to the fender tube with on the 4" up, but I wish I had a little more uptravel for the 'go fast' stuff -
_0749.jpg

img_0911.jpg

I could probably manage 37's at my current height, but I dont think id want to.

FWIW I have a worn out RE 3.5 spring and a RRO 1.75" spacer - and id bet its settled down to what is really a 5" lift - maybe less...

try just taking out the budget boost and see how it feels before making big, expensive changes...

im toying with this idea too...i deleted the thread i started here..lol...money doesnt permit..plus being in Florida and useing an AFE intake the height is necessary for water crossing..

from what i have read 5" should be good with a comp cut and just tack weld some inner fenders in and use jb weld to use as a seam..hell i think that is how the unibody is put together anyways...lol

XJ_ranger said:
try just taking out the budget boost and see how it feels before making big, expensive changes...

I planned on trying that 1st. But without the budget boost Ill still be @ 7.5-8" of lift. I still have my 6.5" coils from the previous lift and I have a bastard pack leaf setup for the rear. If I use that rear setup with my current shackle I will be at about 5-5.5" in the rear. Which Im hoping is good enough. I would love to get this thing down in the 5" area of lift, which would be about half of what I am at currently. I am in the process of fabbing up shackle relocation mounts using a thread from here. It will put me 2" down and 2" forward of the current location. That being said I gain 1" of lift from the conversion possibly allowing me to use a 4.5" leaf. And I have acces to an RE 4.5 leaf pack cause a buddy is foaming at the mouth for my current lift setup!

ChrisRFewell said:
im toying with this idea too...i deleted the thread i started here..lol...money doesnt permit..plus being in Florida and useing an AFE intake the height is necessary for water crossing..

Funny how it works Chris! I wanted to get this big forever and as soon as I got here and all the money was spent I went to Hardrock and realized it was extremely pointless and unusable! Now I think back about all the "mallcrawler" comments I have made in the past and thats basically what my XJ has turned into! There were climbs that I could not do because of my rediculous height that Max was cruising thru on 33's with a 3" body lift on his TJ. It was ego busting to say the least!

Krazors001 said:

Yeah but KTMRacer419 is trimmed ALOT. That is a bad ass rig though

my setup above has the shackle moved like you're talking about...

Im running RE 3.5" packs (as abused and old as the sagged coils), 1/2" block, and an MJ shackle.

XJ_ranger said:
Im at about 5" of lift with 35's -
stp82834.jpg

I only have about 4" of uptravel in the front, any more than that and my trackbar hits my oilpan - im thinking about re-designing my steering / trackbar again to see if I cant get another inch or two out of it.

it fully stuffs up to the fender tube with on the 4" up, but I wish I had a little more uptravel for the 'go fast' stuff -
_0749.jpg

img_0911.jpg

I could probably manage 37's at my current height, but I dont think id want to.

FWIW I have a worn out RE 3.5 spring and a RRO 1.75" spacer - and id bet its settled down to what is really a 5" lift - maybe less...

Hey XJ_ranger that thing is a BAMF. Lookin good:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

XJ_ranger said:
my setup above has the shackle moved like you're talking about...

Im running RE 3.5" packs (as abused and old as the sagged coils), 1/2" block, and an MJ shackle.

Im gonna try the RE 4.5" leafs this weekend. I will be welding the new shackle boxes in on Saturday and hopefully have my DS tommorrow so I can do the stretch. Ill post pics of it when it goes in. Im gonna do it at my buddies house so I have use of the forklift to flex it out.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=947747&highlight=part+out

has a pic of ktm's rig being parted out... i have seen pictures of it on the trail and it looks awesome. just did a quick looking but couldn't find them... i have one saved on another computer that is his xj with one front wheel 6 feet up a tree and you can see the whole undercarriage. thing had a meeeaaan long arm kit that i'm pretty sure he made himself.

i'm surprised no one else has said this yet, but here goes.

sawzall1.jpg

+

istockphoto_1830717_sledge_hammer.jpg

=

party1:

correct me if i'm wrong... :dunno:

I'm runing 37" MTR's.
RE 5.5" ED lift with ACOS set to minimum and TnT long arm in front.
2" Shackle + 1/2" plate added to leaf pack in rear.
I have about 7" uptravel.
Mine are full width axles 68" WMS. Fairly stable. I also keep my sway bar connected most the time, feels better on off-camber stuff.

jeep1-8x6.jpg

Im ging to start with the RE 4.5 leafs and go up from there. My goal is as minimal lift as possible. I just picked up my driveshaft. So now I can complete the stretch in the rear at he same time.

Ill be starting the "drop" this weekend and Ill be sure to post pics. Im actually excited about lowering the XJ! I dont know if thats weird or not but I cant wait to see how low I can get it and still function properly?

Back