• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broken axle or what?

MG2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was out wheelin today and got stuck on my front and rear diffs, both hung up in the middle of some ruts. As I as trying to get unstuck I was turning back and forth something popped and I lost all front wheel drive while I was in 4wd. I just took my diff cover off and the gears are fine. What could I have broken? Axle? The driveshaft is fine but I was spinning my rear tires while in 4wheel part time. The front has no power at all. Any ideas? How to I check the axles?

Does the front D/S spin under power? Does even one front wheel spin under power? It's pretty rare to snap front axleshafts on both sides at the same time. If you have power to the driveshaft but not eother axle, I'd suspect something in the diff. You said it looked fine in there, how about the axleshafts at the u-joints? If that's all good, pull the axleshafts out and see if you broke them inboard near the carrier. If there's no power at the front D/S, it's in your T-case.

Process of elimination. Keep checking the drivetrain components, something will either be obviously broken or just not work, then it's time to look internally.

Have you checked your 4wd shifter, they sometimes pop out into 2wd under load.

check your shift linkage, Its common for out of adjustment linkage to "pop out " This can cause damage inside the tranfer case, try adjusting it first

Major grinding coming from the tcase when in 4lo. Other then in 4lo driveshafts spin freely as do the axles. I have never had any experience with gears, tcase, etc... so I dont ever know if I am correct. But the driveshafts spin, the tires spin and everything is fine other than in 4lo.

sounds like it's the t-case try adjusting the shift linkage on the t-case, thats were i would start.

If one axle shaft breaks, you lose all front wheel drive without a locker.

The way an open differential works is that power is applied to the side with least resistance. Broken shaft vs. a shaft connected to the wheel. The broken shaft "side" of the differential will have the power applied to it, not spinning any wheels.

took it to the guy repairing it today, got it torn down and we found the gear circled was chewed up. The gear that the shift fork surrounds and moves to switch between the 4wd modes.

buy a spare! I'm buying a novak shifter to prevent this. i can replace it in a bout an hour and a half, had to do it twice(as well as some other parts). right now its adjusted so it goes in nice but its hard to get 2wd. bettery than chewin it up. and fulltime never hurts it if it won't go into 2wd.
If you lend it to your gf and she calls saying it just grinds when she tries to go after shifting to 4 lo after several attempts, call your jeep parts buddy.

Well I have no gf at this point, and if I did she would be shifting into 4lo w/o me there haha. I just checked out that Novak shifter set up. Looks real nice, might have to put that on the list of to do things. Thanks.

Back