• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

60 mm RENIX Throttle Body

BaronVonRoot

NAXJA Forum User
has anyone installed a 60 mm RENIX Throttle Body on there 4.0?
i installed one and haveing issues, but not sure if it is becuse of the TB, i am recovering from a blown head gasket on a 89 XJ replaced the head after getting it cleaned up also installed a pacesetter header, and Ford ms 18lb injectors at the same time. so i dont know what the cause is have checked all sensors, seem ok played with the tps checked everything to be working egr ok, checked TDC and the timeing,

this is what it dose. idle ok, driving at idle or supper easy on pedal ok start hitting the gas gets slugish, starts sputtering and back fireing
stomp on it and after some sputtering and the RPMs get up there it inproves...

what i havent checked is fule pressure i have no gauge yet.

thinking i should put the old Throttle body back on and see if it is that,
any more ideas????:wow:

Check your Ground wire at the drivers side rear of the head to the firewall.

the ECU needs that ground badly to keep the engine running smoothly. No ground...2000rpm sputters, rough running above 2k etc.

BaronVonRoot said:
has anyone installed a 60 mm RENIX Throttle Body on there 4.0?
i installed one and haveing issues, but not sure if it is becuse of the TB, i am recovering from a blown head gasket on a 89 XJ replaced the head after getting it cleaned up also installed a pacesetter header, and Ford ms 18lb injectors at the same time. so i dont know what the cause is have checked all sensors, seem ok played with the tps checked everything to be working egr ok, checked TDC and the timeing,

this is what it dose. idle ok, driving at idle or supper easy on pedal ok start hitting the gas gets slugish, starts sputtering and back fireing
stomp on it and after some sputtering and the RPMs get up there it inproves...

what i havent checked is fule pressure i have no gauge yet.

thinking i should put the old Throttle body back on and see if it is that,
any more ideas????:wow:

For starters the injectors are too small for the RENIX.. Put your stocks back in and try that first.. If anything you should go 22 or 24LB injectors. Check and make sure that the hose from the throttle body to MAP sensor is NOT plugged with anything. Thats all I can think of right now...

I am running a 59mm t-body on my renix with 24lb injectors but its stroked.. I am not having any issues either..

I run a 59.5mm throttle body, and while I don't think it helps, its not causing problems. ;)

Ok 91+ HO motors use a 19lb injector stock, the Renix runs a 22lb stock from jeep.. That is why I say the injectors are too small... You are most likely getting a lean back fire..

Injectors ********* this is what i learned do you have any data to back this up that tells diffrent than what i have read?

The following is a list of the injectors used on the 4.0L since 1987 along with their rated static flow:

Model Year, ...Part #, ......Colour, .....Fuel Pressure, ...Static Flow,
'87-'90, ........53003956, ...Dark Tan, ...39psi, .................18.6lb/hr
'91-'93, ........33007127, ...Brown, .......39psi, .................21.0lb/hr
'94-'95, ........53030343, ...Tan, ...........39psi, .................21.0lb/hr
'96-'99, ........53030778, ...Grey, .........49psi, .................23.2lb/hr

'99-'01, ........04854181, ...Blue tip, .....49psi, .................22.5lb/hr

The injector flow rate varies as the square root of the pressure drop across the injector. The stock '91-'95 4.0 injectors are rated at 22lb/hr @ 43psi fuel pressure, so at 39psi they flow ( sq. rt.(39/43) x 22.0 = 21.0 ).

For stock/modified 4.0 engines or stroker build-ups the following injectors can be installed. The flow rates are:

Ford Motorsport 19.0lb/hr @ 39psi (Part no. FMS-M9593-C302)
Ford Motorsport 24.0lb/hr @ 39psi (Part no. FMS-M9593-A302)
Ford Motorsport 30.0lb/hr @ 39psi (Part no. FMS-M9593-B302)
Chevy LT1 24.0lb/hr @ 43.5psi (Part no. 17124248)
Chevy LT4 28.0lb/hr @ 43.5psi (Part no. 17124251)
'98 Chevy LS1 25.2lb/hr @ 58.0psi (Part no. 12533952)
'99-'00 Chevy LS1 26.2lb/hr @ 58.0psi (Part no. 12456154)
'01-'02 Chevy LS1/LS6 28.6lb/hr @ 58.0psi (Part no. 12482704)
Accel 19lb/hr @ 43.5psi (ACC-150819)
Accel 24lb/hr @ 43.5psi (ACC-150824)
Accel 26lb/hr @ 43.5psi (ACC-150826)
Accel 30lb/hr @ 43.5psi (ACC-150830)

The '95 Jeep 5.2 ZJ/Dodge 5.9 injectors (Part no. 53030262) are rated to flow 24.6lb/hr at 39psi.

The selection of injector size will depend on the estimated horsepower output, brake specific fuel consumption BSFC (assume 0.5), no. of cylinders, and the injector duty cycle (assume 80% or 0.8). The formula is:

Injector size (lb/hr) = (horsepower x 0.5)/(no.of cylinders x 0.8)

well i have tried 1000 things with no luck, put original throttle body back on, no luck, new crank position sensor had extra one thought what the heck, had it on a computer tweeked the tps sensor a bit, everything else read that i was in perameters, mixture was toggeling between rich and lean, on the O2 sensor, the guy that had the computer is dumbfounded, i dont know what to do at this point?
could there be something wrong with the head? bad valve? so tired Dan

outlander said:
x2...caused by the excess fuel igniting in the manifold.
and the renix motor has 19lb injectors....

thats what i have 19 lb injectors, all sensors read by computer, in the norm, 15 lb fuel pressure so thats good, changed out spark plugs there blackish, check fireing order for 1000 time it all good yet i have backfireing

when i blew the head gasket it was just seeping into 2 cylinders fowling plugs she got me back from MOAB i parked it removed head, took it to a guy he took the head apart and cleaned it, put it back together laped the valves just a little and put new seals on it put it back together and i installed a header, 19 lb injectors, and 60 mm throtel body, and now it dont run worth a crap...
someone told me maybe the new valve seals are causing the valves to hang open, i dont know where to go from here Dan

poorboy_616 said:
Ummm... 15PSI fuel pressure is WAY to low, it's supposed to be 39 PSI at idle with the regulator vacuum line attached....

holy crapoli thanks poorboy i even posted the correct 39 psi.. and then i read my stupid haynes manual and it said that 15 lbs was correct duh i feel stupid... major find here thanks all looks like i need a fuel pump!!!!

Back