• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IAC and ASD relay clicking w/ ignition on?

gradon

NAXJA Forum User
My 96 wouldn't start last night and today I traced it down to a no spark from the coil(no timing light--no coil output and 10.5V on input of coil at start attempt). I swapped in a questionable used coil I had and she started right up. Drove 30 min and it kinda backfired into the intake and then immediately died. I didn't have timing light with me, so I had someone crank and I held the coil ouput plug(one way to test w/o the light) and didn't get shocked. I also tried to see if a spark would arc to ground--nope. I measured the same 10.5V. So maybe this used coil wasn't too good either(we'll see with a new one tomorrow). Anyhow, while the ignition is on, the ASD relay keeps clicking and the IAC does as well?? I tried swapping relays and it still did it. I unplugged battery, ecu, and other sensors and then reco'd them as well. Anyone have a clue? I do plan on returning with a timing light, scanner for CEL, a TB with extra sensors, and a CPS(if it's at my parent's house instead of mine).

So the o2 sensor was causing the asd relay to click. I had soldered and heat shrank one of the white heater wires--it had melted and broke and the grey wire had some shielding melted off due to me not zipping it in place(Borla put the bung facing the rear instead of front like oem, so the short wire o2 sensor has to do a 180* around the header). Anyhow those two wires were touching. I removed the sensor and taped up the wires good and now they are zipped a safe distance away from the header. No more ASD and IAC click. I replaced the old coil with a new one. It still won't start due to the computer removing voltage on the coil input(12V for a sec, then 0). I get four error codes: High TPS voltage, High CTS voltage, High IAT voltage, High Battery Sensor voltage. I measured the common purple w/ white stripe wire that these sensors share(except the batt sensor) and they are all 5.12V--good, not high(right?). I also installed a spare IAC--no change. I didn't have my spare o2, spare CamPS, or spare CrankPS with me so maybe that's the final step before I have to get it towed back home. I did try the unplug/plug in both cps during start attempt. I tried the remove ground from battery, unplug ecu, and reco as well.

I went to my favorite JY--crazy rays--and didn't find any 96 ecus(except one zj w/4.0). I shoulda grabbed that one instead of the one from the 98 auto xj(only other obd2 there)that I went with. Came home plugged it in and the jeep started on the first try--no cels. I do note that rpms aren't registering and that the ac fan stays on. Of course rather than leaving things alone, I went ahead and installed the lt1 injectors. They aren't running quite right so I'm gonna swap back in the originals until I get the right 96 ecu. Anyhow, for now I can deal w/ no tach and the aux fan being on all the time and I'll make back the $30 the 98 ecu cost.

Back