• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Holy Servo Batman

Gritts

NAXJA Forum User
90 Renix cruise control failure. I have vacuum on one line connected to servo under hood. Nothin on the other servo line. Is this normal? I think the line with no vac runs back to the brake switch inside the cab. BTW 4.0 with auto tranny.:passgas:

Servo?

Got pics?

From the lack of pics and vague description I'm thinking either cruise control or the vacuum reservoir or an odd description of the front axle disconnect.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

The cruise control 'servo' mounted on the fire wall. One vac line is the source and the other goes back to a switch on the brake pedal. I can unplug the smaller line and feel vacuum but can't feel anything on the other line or the port its connected to. i was thinkinng vacuum should run through cruise module on the fire wall and go inside to the brake switch which bleeds off the vacuum when you hit the brake killing the cruise. I'm supposing on this. I thought if there was no vacuum feeding through the unit on the firewall maybe it was what was bad. Thanks....

Last edited:
That is correct. The white switch up near the top of the brake pedal is supposed to bleed off the vacumn on the solenoid when you hit the brakes. It's intended as a failsafe, particulary after the politcal fiasco of the spontaneously accelerating Audis (which Ralph Nader aptly described as "the idots hit the gas instead of the brake).

You could try pinching off that line at the solenoid under the hood and see if it magically starts working.

Here's the pic from my '88.

The hose on the left goes to the vacuum reservoir behind the front bumper. The one on the right goes to the switch. If you don't have the line to the switch, I'd cap it off.

Cruise_0098Small.jpg

Saudade said:
Here's the pic from my '88.

The hose on the left goes to the vacuum reservoir behind the front bumper. The one on the right goes to the switch. If you don't have the line to the switch, I'd cap it off.

Cruise_0098Small.jpg

Should you feel vacuum on the above module's right port if you unplug the larger vac hose?:eyes:

/

In your driveway with the hood up? I doubt it. The CC doesn't come on until around 45 mph. So there's really no way you can test vacuum at the port unless you hook up a vacuum gage and tape to the hood.

I see said the visually impaired man. Thanks. I've been working on this cruise thing so long its become an obsession. So says the old lady.:laugh3:

BTW Where is the speed sensor located for the cruise? I read somewhere that the cruise is a 'closed' system so i figured something has to tell it how fast your're going. Of course we all know what that makes us when we 'ass u me'.

Last edited:
Back