• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 and Porc (AA) SYE... now what driveshaft?

ert01

NAXJA Forum User
Can I use a front driveshaft in the rear of my 93 XJ? I have a Ford 8.8 and a 231 with the PORC SYE on it. It's a 4.0L with the Aw4 tranny and I thought a front should work back there but just holding it up right now it looks too short. Is there a certain model I need it from or something?

ive got the 8.8 and PORC SYE, im running a front driveshaft (AW4 with NP231 TC) and i had my shaft streached 2 inches.........wait that sounded wrong.....Im also running a 6in lift. no problems or issues now for almost a year.

Did you have issues with the Slipyoke?

I'm still running the stock DS with my 8.8, AW4, and NP 242. 6-ish lift.

John

I hadn't tried driving it with the stock shaft. I did my Sye and 8.8 swap at the same time. It did bolt up but I never drove it to see if it'd work.

Sounds like I'm heading to the scrapyard for an aw4 front driveshaft :)

Thanks guys!

So I picked up another AW4 front driveshaft and put it in there so I'm running them front and rear now, but it almost seems a bit short for the rear. I'm almost at full extension on it just sitting at ride height.

The local driveline shop wants $250 to extend it for me and I'd rather buy a whole new Tom Woods shaft then spend that much money on a factory front shaft.

So my question now is this... is there a factory front driveshaft that's about an inch longer then the AW4 shaft and uses 1310 joints? Maybe on a ZJ or MJ or something?

OR is there a way I can lengthen my driveshaft myself and have it reasonably balanced?

I know that there are a lot out there that use a stock front driveshaft but if it doesn't work then you are out money to make it the right length. You also should replace the Ujoints and the ball thing (what ever its called) for the joint. Then you have a 10+ year old drive shaft that might have bad splines also. For the money you will end up with in the old front driveshaft you could order a new larger shaft with new parts and longer and larger splines. Ebay, Tatton's Drive Line Service, $230 for a new drive shaft. I run them front and rear. Many others in my club run them.

Tatton drive shafts look pretty good. It is a lot cheaper, they want 500.00 for a drive shaft here in the Maritimes. Crazy... Just can't afford the Tom Woods....

quote(I know that there are a lot out there that use a stock front driveshaft but if it doesn't work then you are out money to make it the right length. You also should replace the Ujoints and the ball thing (what ever its called) for the joint. Then you have a 10+ year old drive shaft that might have bad splines also. For the money you will end up with in the old front driveshaft you could order a new larger shaft with new parts and longer and larger splines.)quote

as long as you dont buy the first crapy shaft you find you will spend way less on streaching a used front shaft. got mine at the junkyard and the u-joints were perfectly fine, been that way for over a year now.

your getting ripped off if you got a quote for 250 to streach a drive shaft. mine only cost me $125 and that was at the expensive shop in town. would have done it myself but i had no time or a way to balence it.

Last edited:
local shop wants 87$!!!!!! what? my local shop charges around 87-90$ for the two aw4 front shafts i had lengthened for the rear. and i live in ca! 250 is insane. you could but like 8 junkyard shafts for that price....

10" lift with a sye and 8.8, got a front driveshaft from the junkyard from a automatic xj had the cardigan rebuilt and had them stretch it 3" and it works perfectly, running 36`s and a heavy right foot, havent had no problems,

Back