• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing....survey

rgerber2

NAXJA Forum User
I just wanted to get some opinions on towing xj's from those of you that dont drive them on the road.

What works and what is best ?
Has anyone or does anyone use a car dolly ?

Just trying to gather some opinions before I buy a trailer or dolly.

Thanks...

i would buy a trailer. Mine is a DD but i have friends who have towed their trail rigs with dollies. The straps are usually too small and plus what if you snap a leaf spring(aforementioned buddy). good thing he had a trailer that day

Trailer. There's 100 reasons to why you would want all 4 tires off the ground. Tire wear being up there, or any 99 combinations of broken parts that would make dragging a rig a PITA.

mud1059 said:
Trailer. There's 100 reasons to why you would want all 4 tires off the ground. Tire wear being up there, or any 99 combinations of broken parts that would make dragging a rig a PITA.
x2 sometimes it's nice knowing that if i'm 1000 miles from home all my jeep has to do is make it to the trailer to get home

I used to flat tow and it work fine behind my motorhome, but the laws changed and almost every state now requires a braking system in the towed vehicle. The motorhome is gone and I have a trailer for the Jeep. I much prefer the trailer since I can back it up (can't back up a flat tow) and it hauls my junk no matter how bad I mess it up. And it has brakes, so it's legal. I got my trailer for less than the cost of a braking system for flat towing.

i'd go with a trailor if it were me...
because you can use it for other purposes other than towing a vehicle, which a dolly is limited to...
and i agree with the idea of "just get the jeep to the trailer" and you can make it home, no matter what you break...

Back