• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dont get a magnaflow...

Trouble

NAXJA Forum User
if you want your jeep to have any kind of audible exhuast tone. Put on one last night , also welded up the cracks near the cat. Anything above idle and your fan and intake make more noise then the exhaust. It definitely made the long trip to work more enjoyable, being able to hear the radio.

It will get louder (I am sure you know) as it gets broken in. Mine was the same way. Now it sounds good without being loud or obnoxious.

Yes, I ran a dynomax untraflo for about 4 years. It did get alittle louder but not much, that was until the case had a failure. I was just surprised since i had an OE style muffler on tehre before and it was alot louder then.

I run a magnaflow and it was noticeably louder but not too loud. I like it

I have one of those Cherry Bomb 'mufflers'.
I like it, most of the time, but when John started his rig right next to mine, I was amazed on how quiet his is.

My next pimpin' rig will be nice and quiet!

Well, when the stereo isn't blasting..

:D

djblade311 said:
I run a magnaflow and it was noticeably louder but not too loud. I like it

x2...

I run Dynamax on my wife's TJ and it is louder, but not too loud again.

Depends which Magnaflow you get.

The one on my big XJ is quite because I cant stand listening to exhaust all day, then going to sleep and still being able to hear it when my eyes are closed. My Mangnaflow on my little dd XJ is much louder, and make it sound like it has some balls.

If you want it to be a little louder you can cut the exhaust pipe under the xj just past the muffler and put a down tip on it (just so it doesnt melt things) and it will echo under the Jeep a little making it louder inside.

The red Jeep has a Magnaflow and it sounds nice and throaty. Not sure which one it is because I got it used.

The 96 and Chief will probably each get mufflers that are nice and quiet.

I like my Magnaflow. I spent 218 for that and a high flow cat installed. Nice purr, doesnt wake the neigbors here in TJ. Has a nice growl when you get into it thoug(not that i can afford to do that much)

I have a magnaflow on the wj, just had it welded in, in place of the stock muffler, sounds good to me, not to loud, doesnt resonate on the freeway, and it olny cost a hundred bucks.

peace
ted

xcm said:
glasspacks are only $20, and imo sound better...
yeah but they don't qualify as a spark arrestor and in some areas you will be asked to leave for fire hazard caused by your vehicle. Yes there are actual rules about spark arrestors for blm and forest land

Gerr said:
Yes there are actual rules about spark arrestors for blm and forest land
As there should be!

Now on that though if your cat is in good shape it will generally get those sparks.

If I knew you had a straight through muffler and no cat I wouldn't allow you to run with us in the mountains.

Gerr said:
yeah but they don't qualify as a spark arrestor and in some areas you will be asked to leave for fire hazard caused by your vehicle. Yes there are actual rules about spark arrestors for blm and forest land

Isnt this the job of the cat?

homebrew said:
Isnt this the job of the cat?
no. the cat is there to lower the amount of NOx emissions coming out of the tailpipe. it has a catalyst in it that reacts with the NOx particles and either converts them to inert gasses or traps them and slowly burns them off over its lifetime

hence the name, catalytic converter ;)

:D

GSequoia said:
As there should be!

Now on that though if your cat is in good shape it will generally get those sparks.

If I knew you had a straight through muffler and no cat I wouldn't allow you to run with us in the mountains.

I've had stock cat w stock muffler. Then a stock cat w cherrybomb/glasspack. Then no cat w cherrybomb/glasspack. Then my cherrybomb fell off so it was a straight pipe hehe.

Now I have a nice cat and magnaflow. Good thing, cuz now I can run with your Sequoia. Guess I'm getting old :D

Back