• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another towing question- please help

rogerramjet

NAXJA Forum User
My wife and I are being moved from PA to TX by Uncle Sam and the USAF. Unfortunately, they do not move vehicles. The plan was to each drive our vehicles, but I was wondering about the possibility of either trailering hers or putting it on a tow dolly.

Hers: 1999 BMW 323i GVW - 4211 lbs.
Mine: 1997 XJ, GVW - 4601 lbs, with 3 inch lift, 31's, stock gears, bastard spring packs from 1/2 ton Dodge pick-up, rear disc brake conversion from '95 ZJ on Dana 35's.

I've searched enough to know that long distance towing with an XJ is generally not recommended, but I was hoping for a "maybe if you...." advice.

Thanks-

Mark

While the military doesn't pay for moving vehicles in conjunction with a PCS, you might be able to move it as part of a DITY move.

Get with your TMO and see if you can do a partial or full DITY move. They won't pay for mileage, but would include the vehicle as part of your weight allowance.

RW, MSgt, USAF, Ret

I dont know why the USAF would not ship a vehicle for you. Been in the Navy almost 8 years now and they have always shipped a vehicle, even overseas. They might not ship BOTH of them, but they should ship atleast one them, I would double check with your travel office. And on a side note, they might not ship directly to your base, when I moved from Guam to Ohio They shipped it to St. Louis as it was the closest shipping location for overseas. So march into that travel office and raise hell! sometimes that's what it takes.

rogerramjet said:
My wife and I are being moved from PA to TX by Uncle Sam and the USAF. Unfortunately, they do not move vehicles. The plan was to each drive our vehicles, but I was wondering about the possibility of either trailering hers or putting it on a tow dolly.

Hers: 1999 BMW 323i GVW - 4211 lbs.
Mine: 1997 XJ, GVW - 4601 lbs, with 3 inch lift, 31's, stock gears, bastard spring packs from 1/2 ton Dodge pick-up, rear disc brake conversion from '95 ZJ on Dana 35's.

I've searched enough to know that long distance towing with an XJ is generally not recommended, but I was hoping for a "maybe if you...." advice.

Thanks-

Mark
Even if the trailer had brakes it would be scary.It would be hard on the engine/trans/brakes,and in a emergency manuever(yikes)!

Back