• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cody's C-Clip Clusterfawk-

IXNAYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Something doesn't look quite right with GreenbeltXJ's 8.25....

025.jpg

027.jpg

026.jpg

Broke off right at the splines:

035.jpg

039.jpg

044.jpg

-----Matt-----

CanMan said:
That sucks. You beat the piss outta that thing forever, and never had a problem.
Pretty impressive when you think about it. Probably 235k miles on that shaft, with two years of HARD wheeling from me and almost two years of Cody beating it, all while being locked and running 33s or 35s.

You can't feel too bad about that kind of life span! Still, it was sort of sad to see my old axle finally let go.

-----Matt-----

sad for you?! i have to replace the MF'er.

but seriously i am very impressed with the strength of the D30 and 8.25 i have been on 35's for the last six months and have had no problems, i do however take care when wheeling with that size of tire...... for the most part anyway.....

well i'm sure that just ruined someones day. but better there on the trail than bombin down the road at 60 mph.

Yep, classic c-clip axle failure. A buddy in a TJ had one break like that and it galled the inner end of the splines into the carrier, it was ruined and he had to replace it. perfect excuse for adding a full-case locker, though.

Had another TJ buddy do that up at Manastash at Funny Rocks, we strapped a log cut from a downed tree to his side with ratchet straps, the side pressure of the log held the broken wheel/axle asembly in place for the trip back to camp. We de-barked the log and stopped and oiled it against the tire sidewall every 1/4 mile or so. He earned the nickname "Flintstone" on that trip. :D

fubar XJ said:
We de-barked the log and stopped and oiled it against the tire sidewall every 1/4 mile or so. He earned the nickname "Flintstone" on that trip. :D

Cool, did the oil just magically disappear or end up on the ground? :callme:

We oiled the log and tire sidewall directly, so yes, a small amount likely ended up on terra firma. Oil comes out of the ground, we were just returning it to nature.

RRT said:
So replace the axle or upgrade the whole rear diff?

It was wheeled hard for 4+ years. No sense in dumping $200-1000 in swapping something that only breaks once every 4 years of hard use and 10 more years of everyday driving. I'd vote just fix it.

Back