• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 Trailer wiring ?

Krasher

NAXJA Forum User
I can't seem to find a thread on this in the search so I gotta ask a stupid question. I have a 2 door, 2wd, 89 xj and I can't find any trailer wiring kits for anything older than a 91-96 xj. Will that kit work in my 89? Or is the plug different? Thanks

It will not work. On my 87 & 90 which are similar to yours I had to get the universal kit & tap into the wiring. I pulled the inner panel on the drivers side & wired into the harness there. There are 2 large connectors in there one has all the wires for the driver side (stop, turn & tail lights) the other connector has the left turn. I did everything in the one side to keep it neat. The universal kit will need the converter for the stop & turn signal from 2 bulb to 1 bulb.

bringing this one back up. does anyone know exactly what wires to tap into? what color from the truck goes to what color of the harness?

for a standard 4 pin connector with the converter box

Back