• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clearance check! Will this bolt cause issues.

GlueNTape

NAXJA Forum User
Is this enough clearance, I would hate for that bolt to bash in my Alternator ( at least I think thats what that is without checking the book).

IMG00044.jpg

Itll probably be fine but if it were me, I wouldnt chance it. I would change the bolt out for a shorter one or cut that one off.

I couldn't find the right length.. at least at ACE, they all have a huge shoulder berfoe the threads.

I will wack the bolt. I would hate to be on a trail and have it swing over and crush it..

Thanks for the sanity check.

looks fine to me. i would think it would take a massive impact to make that bolt go thru the alt. youd have more problems than just the alt if that were to happen.

If you have the room on the other side, just reverse the bolt. Easy and free.

Yes, that is your alternator - it looks like a CS-series. Let me guess - 1987-1990 rig?

As far as that "huge shoulder" you mention, that's a standard. Capscrews are threaded for a length equal to three times the nominal diameter - for, say, a 3/8" screw, that's 9/8", or just over an inch. If the screw length is less than that, then the screw is fully threaded.

Note that screws are usually plated to prevent corrosion - if you're going to cut the screw (nothing wrong with that, I do it quite often,) replace it with stainless or paint over the end to seal it. Note that primer is porous - it's not meant to prevent rust, just to make the paint stick better.

Back