• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 35 alloy shafts, detriot locker...

89cherokeexj

NAXJA Forum User
After speaking with a naxja member, he told me he had this axle and didn't like it. I was wondering what you guys think about the "upgraded" dana 35. I know the stock one isn't very strong, but what about with 30 spline axles and a dl?? The most I want to run is 33's, so what you guys think, will it work for me???

i would stay away from it myself, but i just dont like d35s, bad luck...imo///
ive also wheeled with guys who have had no prob.

I think it would depend on the price. The "Super 35" kit usually sells for $700+. At that price I would say don't use it, but if you're getting a really good price give it a try.

I think this came up before and for the most part, everybody agreed that fior 33s a super 35 would work good. IMO, I would use it. It does a detroit locker which are the best (my opinion again).

If you do mild wheeling, 33's on a Super35 will be OK. If you do anything harder than mild to medium, spend the money on an axle upgrade. A Super35 is about $750. Installing a Ford Explorer 8.8 which is much stronger is only $1000 or so including gear install. Spend the extra cash on a D44 or Ford 8.8 if you wheel medium to hard.

Dude if your in Victorville Ca upgrade! I just might axles laying in the dirt out back that will bolt right in to your XJ that will be stock stronger than the most polished dana turdyfive.

Here in Australia, we only have the 35 (in xj's) the only option is super 35 kit, transplant a 44 from from a tj (will have to do some cutting and welding) or import a 44 out of a xj from the states.

So for me the only real option is a super 35 kit, so any info on how good they are would be appreciated.

Waste of money, you will still have a weak gearset and weak housing, trussing it will help, but only to a point. Swap something worth putting money into in it.

Eh, depends a lot on the difficulty of terrain and your driving style. I know a guy who's TJ D35 lived for about three years with a Detroit and 37" SSR tires. But when it broke, he was left stranded in the Moab outback, spent the night with his rig while his buddies ran back to town to get him parts.

If it's a mild wheeler and the price is right, go for it. If you're an aggressive driver and you wheel rocks frequently, take a pass and save up for a better rear axle.

Im the guy with the dana 35 hes talking about, It is a dana 35 super 30 spline axles detroit locker and 4.56s already set up. The price would work out to be 400 bucks. You could not even get new gears and labor for 400 bucks! Plus this has a locker and 30 spline axles. However I would not reccomend this rear end for anything bigger then 33s, This rear end should stand up to most any trails around here unless you plan on running the hammers! The reason I am going to be getting rid of it is because I got a manuel trans and it is my daily driver, I should of have done more research on lockers before I bought it. I would only reccomend this if you have an auto, with a stick you will always know it is there! I have 32s and a 5 speed and what ever rear I get I would go 4.56s again, what a difference from stock 3.07s!

Back