• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Northwest Newbie

mrpopo573

NAXJA Forum User
Aloha Guys!

I am new to Naxja, and very excited to have a resource and community so filled with knowledge. I just wanted to ask a basic question of about some parks/areas that I'm sure most of you have spent some time in.

I am trying to get together a list of a few areas that are stock-ish XJ friendly, as my mods are slow coming but I would still like to get out on some trails. Preferably areas on the west side of the cascades, but I'm open to anything. It would be great to take a few friends and head out on a trail that I could camp at after a few miles of 4x4ing.

Tahuya was great, but I have only run about a quarter of it. It got dark and I had to find an exit, which was a fun adventure. I just wanted to see what else was out there. I appreciate any and all information.

My Jeep is a 1999 Auto with just an Intake and some new decent all terrains.

Thanks!

Welcome to the NW! What part of Maui are you from? (Beautiful island).

Tahuya is probably the best place to start (entirely stock XJ friendly and relatively safe).

1. Walker Valley ORV is probably the next most reasonable with a stock XJ. Much more likelyhood for damage but doable with the right driver.
2. Reiter Trails (past Sulton on Hwy2) would be my next bet, some parts are doable with a stock XJ and there are plenty of areas to play/learn what you XJ is capable of without too much concern of damage.
3. Evan's Creek ORV would be very difficult in a stock XJ but you could stick to the main trails and enjoy some miles.
4. Nachees has a number of trails that are very doable (particularly in the summer when it is drier).

You should definietly see if you can make it to NW Fest. Wonderful place to learn and meet a bunch of people with a wide range of XJ's.

With the addition of some rock rails, gas skid, tc skid, and front and rear tow hooks I would be much more inclined to hit a longer list of trails in each area. Add front and rear bumpers to it and you could add to the list again.

Welcome,
Michael

2xtreme said:

Tahuya is probably the best place to start (entirely stock XJ friendly and relatively safe).

1. Walker Valley ORV is probably the next most reasonable with a stock XJ. Much more likelyhood for damage but doable with the right driver.
2. Reiter Trails (past Sulton on Hwy2) would be my next bet, some parts are doable with a stock XJ and there are plenty of areas to play/learn what you XJ is capable of without too much concern of damage.
3. Evan's Creek ORV would be very difficult in a stock XJ but you could stick to the main trails and enjoy some miles.
4. Nachees has a number of trails that are very doable (particularly in the summer when it is drier).

You should definietly see if you can make it to NW Fest. Wonderful place to learn and meet a bunch of people with a wide range of XJ's.

With the addition of some rock rails, gas skid, tc skid, and front and rear tow hooks I would be much more inclined to hit a longer list of trails in each area. Add front and rear bumpers to it and you could add to the list again.

Welcome,
Michael

Not that one carefully, I didn't wish I had.

2xtreme said:

Welcome,
Michael

Thank you for the great list Michael. I am from the North Shore of Maui, in Haiku. My mother was born and raised there and my father is the Santa Cruz surfer nut/ car freak. My family owns Houston Motors, currently operating out of Port Townsend, Wa. (www.houstonmotorspt.com) I've decided to switch gears from street/drift toys to something more suited to constant rain. :(. I actually am excited for snow this year, a lot.

I will put this list in my email. I plan on having quick releases in the front, tow hook bumpers front and rear, some lighting and a safari rack for my goodies in about a month. However, a tranny cooler, some real gauges, and full skid plates have to come first.

I leave for Europe on Friday so my Jeep is gonna take a break while I amass some bolt ons during my 3 week vacation.

I know Tahuya has a staging area camp ground, but any remote camp ground places in our state you like? I think I have this obsession with camping in some place that only a 4x4 could make it to with a nice view of the valley I just conquered. :laugh: awww this XJ is really gettin' to me.

Thanks again,

Dylan

mrpopo573 said:
Thank you for the great list Michael. I am from the North Shore of Maui, in Haiku. My mother was born and raised there and my father is the Santa Cruz surfer nut/ car freak. My family owns Houston Motors, currently operating out of Port Townsend, Wa. (www.houstonmotorspt.com) I've decided to switch gears from street/drift toys to something more suited to constant rain. :(. I actually am excited for snow this year, a lot.

I will put this list in my email. I plan on having quick releases in the front, tow hook bumpers front and rear, some lighting and a safari rack for my goodies in about a month. However, a tranny cooler, some real gauges, and full skid plates have to come first.

I leave for Europe on Friday so my Jeep is gonna take a break while I amass some bolt ons during my 3 week vacation.

I know Tahuya has a staging area camp ground, but any remote camp ground places in our state you like? I think I have this obsession with camping in some place that only a 4x4 could make it to with a nice view of the valley I just conquered. :laugh: awww this XJ is really gettin' to me.

Thanks again,

Dylan

Sweet place to live, I look forward to spending more time on the North Shore and just trying to stay on the darn board!

If you are looking forward to snow and like remote camping you will want to check out our "Hypothermia Run" this year. Last years didn't end up going very well but the years before is the oppitomy (sp?) of "obsession with camping in some place that only a 4x4 could make it to with a nice view of the valley I just conquered"

Naches is probably the best bet for remote camping on trails that I am aware of.

Joe, What have you been drinking?

My guess is that he meant to say the following:
"Note that one carefully, I didn't, and wish that I had."

Michael

Thanks. Hawaii is beautiful, expensive and sometimes a little too small, but being able to go back to our 5 acres in jungle is a priviledge I don't take for granted. Our renters don't want to leave anytime soon though. lol.

I will definetly check out the hypothermia run, my friend is lifting a Loyale Subaru Wagon so him and I will be all too excited to join up.
What happened last year?

Naches gets mentioned a lot, I'll check it out. Thanks again for the great info!
And for the translation.

One more popular park not mentioned is Liberty ORV. East of Cle Elum, has a bunch of mild trails in the east side of the park, much more challenging ones on the west side. has a decent campground on-site and enough wheeling to keep you busy for a couple of days.

Oh, and welcome to the northwest.:)

Awesome. Sounds like I have a lot of places to check out.
For the record, I have been in the Northwest for years, as the family has run our business between Hawaii and Seattle for 30 years. (I'm only 23) However, I haven't been off road in this state until now. I consider myself pretty lucky, I never realized how much was out there to experience.

Thanks again guys!

WaXJ_Skier said:
Translate: Note that one carefully. I didn't, wish I had.

Rocker protection is one of the most important modifications for NW wheeling. You will find yourself constantly contacting something with your rockers. Great rocker armor will seriously save you from a lot of body damage and more than a few hang ups. I find that the full replacement of the rockers with 2" x 6" steel tube is the best option. There are build threads in the NW and modified tech forums.

Welcome to the NW 4x4 lifestyle!:party:

Metal Thrasher said:
Translate: Note that one carefully. I didn't, wish I had.

Rocker protection is one of the most important modifications for NW wheeling. You will find yourself constantly contacting something with your rockers. Great rocker armor will seriously save you from a lot of body damage and more than a few hang ups. I find that the full replacement of the rockers with 2" x 6" steel tube is the best option. There are build threads in the NW and modified tech forums.

Welcome to the NW 4x4 lifestyle!:party:

Thank you for correcting my horrid use(or lack there) of punctuation.

Welcome! :wave1:

You'll find out that the Northwest chapter is one of the most diverse and active chapters that NAXJA has.
I'm sure that I can speak for almost everyone, so I hope to see you on the trails soon!

I'm darn happy I found this place, and I plan on being out and about with the NW :NAXJA: sect as much as possible.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

I'll be out at Tahuya most weekend afternoons in July once I get back from some over seas travel. I have seperation anxiety with my XJ. lol.

mrpopo573 said:
Naches gets mentioned a lot, I'll check it out. Thanks again for the great info!
And for the translation.

Welcome to the NW chapter! Hope to see you out on the trails soon.

As mentioned before, you should try to make it out to NWFest at Naches. Its a great opportunity to meet new faces, check out some rigs, and have a good time.

Hawaii, Washington, Europe....

Military? There are a few of us around....most of us sneak around in the bushes.

mrpopo573 said:
I am very much into not hurting the Jeep.

This will change.

I would also suggest Reiter for a good place to start, run the powerline trails and some of the mud stuff gently. I did that last year when I bought my jeep and it was stock, only time I got stuck was when I filled the whole thing with muddy water.party1:

-Alex

GI-John said:
....most of us sneak around in the bushes.

That is true.

100_2159.jpg

:D

CanMan said:
That is true.

100_2159.jpg

:D

Good catch Eli!

Here I am fighting to extricate the elusive Northwest Trouser Snake. It was quite a battle. From what I've heard, I've found the largest one in the Northwest.:D :D :D

GI-John said:
Hawaii, Washington, Europe....

Military? There are a few of us around....most of us sneak around in the bushes.

I'm afraid my traveling is purely the pleasures of a college student, nothing so honorable as military service. However Hawaii is my home so I guess that could be called a chore since I have to mow the lawn when I "vacation" there.

Back