• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Partnership for Johnson Valley

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
As some of you know, we're in danger of loosing JV to the Marine Corps. To some it seems like that move came out of left field, to some it seems to be old news. In efforts to preserve the area for open access multi use (I believe that is the proper term per BLM) Partnership for Johnson Valley got formed. This group led by Harry Baker seems to have gotten the furthest when it comes to talking to the Marine Corps about what to do and how to find something that fits everyone (group's stated goal is to keep JV's status unchanged and help Marines find other options).

Getting to the point, I have attended today a meeting that they held where they shared a powerpoint presentation that they have created for Marine Corps (per their request) that showed the economic and recreational impact of if JV was lost to the public. After the meeting (3 hours) I walked away with a headache, confused, slightly dissapointed but still kind of hopeful. Why? The PfJV has a great goal which is worthy of support BUT as an organization they are not ready for support. Why? Because they seem to have no internal structure, no accountability and no clearly defined decison making process. They are spearheading (or attempting to) the effort for saving JV and while they solicit input from a lot of interest groups, they seem to be hesitant (by design or accident, not sure which yet) to allow the groups they are trying to represent voice within the organization. Multiple times during the meeting today there were quetsions asked that they left unanswered with an excuse "we're working on it". One of those questions referred to the internal organizational structure of PfJV and how various interest groups fit in there as well as what voice they have (FYI: the interest groups vary from recreational offroad trhoguh racing through motorcycles, geological groups, rocket launching organizations, geocachers, petroglyph/indian heritage/history researchers to campers as well as businesses dependent on activities that I just listed). Also, the organization seems to be suffering a bit from a reactionary mode as they were more concerned with reacting to what the Marine Corps did or requested rather then looking at now and future at the same time (future amongst other things is lobbying our political reps for this issue before it gets to the point of being presented in DC for approval). Granted PfJV is a young organization and they are still forming things as they go along but I think for what they're trying to achieve they need to work as hard on the internal structure of the organization as they are on the presenations. Why? Because they need buy in and support from other groups so that there is a concentrated and coordinated effort from all affected communities instead of multiple voices buzzing in the ear of the Marine Corps.

Anyways, what am I getting at with this post? That the organizatino bears watchings. I think that they want to do the best they can and they will need help to do so and I've told them that SoCal Chapter of NAXJA is willing to support their efforts (this was discussed by the Chapter BOD last minute as we became aware of the meeting last minute) but I told them that I would like to see more structure. I want to know that they have all their ducks lined up or at least they have plans to. This does not mean that we will wait till the last moment. This only means that we need to see efforts from them in that direction. Not sure how to phrase it better but today seemed a mess. I did not expect a whole lot from them since it's the beginning but I did expect more.

Cal will most likely add his input to this and maybe we can even get PaulS to make one of his rare posts so that different point of views can be presented (they both attended the meeting as well).

Anyways, keep your eyes peeled open for updates on this.

Thanks Remi.
Most of us who have been following the developments in regards to JV see the necessity for all the user groups to form a united front.
There is much work to be done and it is still quite early in the process.
Confusion will go right along with the high levels of concern we have in the process of making our thoughts known to those who will ultimately decide the future of our "Mecca' of rock crawling.
What we all need to know is that it is early in the process. To think that there is any one organization in existence that has everything it takes to prevent the Marines from taking over our place of rock worship is daydreaming.
That group does not exist yet.
We need to keep up with this one.

I know Cal has his own views of the meeting as well.
I'll also call Paul and ask for him to post up his thoughts.

FordGuy said:
After the meeting do you not feel like they need to team up with a bigger more experienced group/organization?
Well.... here's the problem the way I see it: they are teamed up with them yet they're not at the same time. They ask for input from everyone so that they can express those groups interests BUT they are not able to talk about their accountability to those organizations to show that they ARE meeting those groups needs. I don't know how to explain it better.

Again, I do think that they are our best shot at it BUT it is up to them if they'll be able to achieve things on behalf of all they're trying to represent.

They will have a strategy meeting in the first week of July which I think will be a deal breaker/determining factor as to whether they can do any good or not as fact that they got to have meetings with the Marines on this issue I think really mean nothing if they can't get support of others (interest groups).

Jump This said:
Thanks Remi.
Most of us who have been following the developments in regards to JV see the necessity for all the user groups to form a united front.
I agree.
What we all need to know is that it is early in the process. To think that there is any one organization in existence that has everything it takes to prevent the Marines from taking over our place of rock worship is daydreaming.
That group does not exist yet.
We need to keep up with this one.
Again I agree and I will have my fingers crossed.

thanks for attending and providing a report/feedback! HOpefully pfjv will atleast ask for help and/or explain what they need openly to solidify and organize. Yea you can throw lots of money at a group but how they handle it is a different story.

Partnership for Johnson Valley is a different group than Friends of Johnson Valley. FOJV was initiated by mostly offroaders, 4x4's, motorcycles, etc, before PFJV was announced to anyone. The meeting today that Remi talked about that was held by PFJV happened as a reaction to many folks, including those involved in FOJV, because the leaders of PFJV acted totally on their own in an important meeting with the Marine Corp. Also, while everyone knew that FOJV was being started, no one other than those few folks knew that PFJV was being started. The purpose of this meeting was a response to criticism that these folks are acting on their own, and not including or consulting others that have interest. It is yet to be seen if they can or will give more than lip service to being inclusive with the other groups that they are saying that they represent.

There is also an upcoming meeting of Friends of Johnson Valley, to determine which direction they should go, the structure of the organization, etc. Personally, this is the organization to support as we know who they are and how they will act. Hopefully, the two organizations can work in parrallel, they certainly will try to. PFJV is made up of folks who have been doing this for a long time, and have quite a bit of experience, but we don't know if they think like we do, and they have been secretive. FOJV is a grass roots effort by us, and folks like us, who all agree on what needs to be done.

Goatman said:
There is also an upcoming meeting of Friends of Johnson Valley, to determine which direction they should go, the structure of the organization, etc. Personally, this is the organization to support as we know who they are and how they will act. Hopefully, the two organizations can work in parrallel, they certainly will try to. PFJV is made up of folks who have been doing this for a long time, and have quite a bit of experience, but we don't know if they think like we do, and they have been secretive. FOJV is a grass roots effort by us, and folks like us, who all agree on what needs to be done.
Where and when is the meeting? I wanted to talk to Dave today after this meeting but didn't get a chance because he had to go take care of a work related conference call.

edit: Btw, I think the big issue here is that PfJV has got their foot in the door. Also IF they unite ALL the interest groups and they will fight for keeping JV the way it is, they are the group to support but you're right: they are too secretive.

Last edited:
Goatman said:
Partnership for Johnson Valley is a different group than Friends of Johnson Valley. FOJV was initiated by mostly offroaders, 4x4's, motorcycles, etc, before PFJV was announced to anyone. The meeting today that Remi talked about that was held by PFJV happened as a reaction to many folks, including those involved in FOJV, because the leaders of PFJV acted totally on their own in an important meeting with the Marine Corp. Also, while everyone knew that FOJV was being started, no one other than those few folks knew that PFJV was being started. The purpose of this meeting was a response to criticism that these folks are acting on their own, and not including or consulting others that have interest. It is yet to be seen if they can or will give more than lip service to being inclusive with the other groups that they are saying that they represent.

Interesting I did not realize there were 2 groups

Gerr said:
Interesting I did not realize there were 2 groups
me either and its confusing for me to try and keep track of who's who. i want to make sure im supporting the right people here.

GrimmJeeper said:
me either and its confusing for me to try and keep track of who's who. i want to make sure im supporting the right people here.
Yup, that is the overall objective at the end of the day: we want to support the organization that will best represent our interest.

I have a lot of opinions. I'm not ready to share them yet (distracted with work) but I will post up late tonight or tomorrow.

I will say that I believe to succeed, FOJV and PFJV need to be working together. I believe that would have happened today had it not been for interference from other groups involved in the meeting. No one wants to trust anyone else, but 40 people aren't going to be welcome at the table (from the Marines side of things).

cal said:
I have a lot of opinions. I'm not ready to share them yet (distracted with work) but I will post up late tonight or tomorrow.

I will say that I believe to succeed, FOJV and PFJV need to be working together. I believe that would have happened today had it not been for interference from other groups involved in the meeting. No one wants to trust anyone else, but 40 people aren't going to be welcome at the table (from the Marines side of things).
That is true and I believe we walked away from the meeting with the same thought on that topic. I think that we will need to see PfJV to be more open and willing to work wiht all the folks on the back end so that they could have our trust and go with our support to those meetings.

Kejtar said:
That is true and I believe we walked away from the meeting with the same thought on that topic. I think that we will need to see PfJV to be more open and willing to work wiht all the folks on the back end so that they could have our trust and go with our support to those meetings.

I walked away from the table feeling that PFJV was making a serious effort to involve the other groups and or people, but no one could commit before a small handfull of people would taint the conversation with more mistrust and what I can only describe as hatred.

cal said:
I walked away from the table feeling that PFJV was making a serious effort to involve the other groups and or people, but no one could commit before a small handfull of people would taint the conversation with more mistrust and what I can only describe as hatred.
I don't know. I think that they wanted commitment from folks but weren't really willing to do much in return. Again, I think that jury is out on them till after the strategy planning meeting.

Kejtar said:
I don't know. I think that they wanted commitment from folks but weren't really willing to do much in return. Again, I think that jury is out on them till after the strategy planning meeting.

I read into it differently. I don't think they know *what* to do in return. What can they do? I believe they were very forthcoming with information today. Did they get started without including the other groups? Yes. Did they get their foot in the door and actually manage to catch the attention of the USMC? Hell Yes. They have the ball but are not calling the shots - the Marines are. They appear to be willing to share that ball - but you and I both know what will happen if 40 people sit down with the Marines - particularly THAT 40 people.

cal said:
I read into it differently. I don't think they know *what* to do in return. What can they do?
Organize, offer structure. Do more then just say "it's in the works". Talk about what was done to date? Don't be vague and play word games and not try to corner folks into eys/no answers.
I believe they were very forthcoming with information today. Did they get started without including the other groups? Yes. Did they get their foot in the door and actually manage to catch the attention of the USMC? Hell Yes. They have the ball but are not calling the shots - the Marines are. They appear to be willing to share that ball - but you and I both know what will happen if 40 people sit down with the Marines - particularly THAT 40 people.
Yes well, most folks were willing to overlook the startu issues BUT they seemed not to really do things much differently at the meeting. Yes they were attacked, but they should have ran the meeting from their end on a more peaceful note cause right after they said lets forget the past and move on, they've rehashed the past multiple times.

Back