• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

240 amp alternator

yamafreek

NAXJA Forum User
I found a company(nations) that has a 240 amp alternator available for the XJ. Anyone have any expirience with them? Seems on the high side as far as "stock" type/size alternators. May order one soon.

The real question is the true hot rated amp output. I hope that this 240-260 can do a honest 200+ hot. I guess time will tell.
BTW there was no link to the alternator as the site does not list it.

I had my stock altinator re-built by a local altinator place.
If my memory serves me correctly he stated that he could go to 180 amp's with this small case, and he also added a smaller pulley.
I have been useing this for several years with no issues and I think I paid just a tad over $100. I would suspect that anything advertised over ~180amps is a stretch considering trying to remove any additional heat would be an issue.

Michael

Got a link to the outfit? I want to make sure I find the same page you do...

So far, the highest output I'd heard of was 200A (Mean Green, possibly Powerman,) so I'd like to know more about the 240A units. I'm sure that will deterioirate slightly when hot, and I'd like to see the output curve on that as well, but I'm quite curious.

You will need to upgrade your wiring and alternator output fuse to take full advantage of the thing, and I do not suggest simply eliminating the output fuse/fusible link entirely. I don't know enough about the history of this outfit to even tangentially recommend something like that, and a surge from that sort of unit is likely to blow every solid state device in your rig more complex than a simple diode. Ouch...

what in the heck do you need to power that would take that kind of amperage?I have ran 9000lbs winches all day with a 90 amp unit.

whalebus said:
what in the heck do you need to power that would take that kind of amperage?I have ran 9000lbs winches all day with a 90 amp unit.

I'd say it depends. After all, later Ford ambulances have dual alternator setups, using a 160A unit (primary) and 140A (secondary)...

And, the more you can supply from your alternator, the less strain you put on your battery.

whalebus said:

Every vehicle is different. But Here is how I sized mine.
2 deep cycle batteries, 1 altinator
operating the winch at night would require:
Winch
lights (headlights, 4 off road lights, markers, etc)
Stereo maybe?
electric fan
OBA compressor
and electric windows

I don't know the loads all all of this but 200amp's isn't that far of a stretch of the imagination.

If I was looking at a alt over 200amp's I think I would switch to the larger housing size to do it more reliably (will fit with some slight modifications and trimming).

Michael

derrickdrew17 said:
gosh thats 2600watts of pure power if you could use that 200amp alt.

I think I will net around 200 amps. Perfect for what I need.:gee:

Ordered alternator today will take around 2 weeks to make. Will test before installing. It was some $$$.:( But if it does a true or even a close to true rating it will all be worth it.

whalebus said:

There is a guy that lives near me that covers his Blazer in Christmas lights...

yamafreek said:
I think I will net around 200 amps. Perfect for what I need.:gee:

Ordered alternator today will take around 2 weeks to make. Will test before installing. It was some $$$.:( But if it does a true or even a close to true rating it will all be worth it.

A link to that outfit, please! I'd like to check them out, as much for my own reference as anything else that might come up...

5-90 said:
A link to that outfit, please! I'd like to check them out, as much for my own reference as anything else that might come up...
I don't know if this is what he's refering too but I found this by accident::dunno:
Iraggi Alternator
http://search.stores.ebay.com/Iraggi-Alternator-and-Electronics_JEEP-CHEROKEE_W0QQfciZQ2d1QQfclZ3QQfsnZIraggiQ20AlternatorQ20andQ20ElectronicsQQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftsZ2QQsaselZ35089818QQsofpZ0

scroll down and the have em listed for the Grand Cherokee 99-2000 .....

I think he was refering to this site tho........
http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/highoutput.html

Last edited:
B.RAIDER said:
I don't know if this is what he's refering too but I found this by accident::dunno:
Iraggi Alternator
http://search.stores.ebay.com/Iraggi-Alternator-and-Electronics_JEEP-CHEROKEE_W0QQfciZQ2d1QQfclZ3QQfsnZIraggiQ20AlternatorQ20andQ20ElectronicsQQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftsZ2QQsaselZ35089818QQsofpZ0

scroll down and the have em listed for the Grand Cherokee 99-2000 .....

I think he was refering to this site tho........
http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/highoutput.html

The alternator is not listed on the nations web site. But you can call and talk to Alex. Tell him "the guy from Hawaii" said you have a HO alternator for the xj. I had one from Iraggi before. It was ok. Far from what it was suposed to be as far as amps goes.

Got the alternator installed and load tested. It did 110-115 at idle and over 225 at 2000 rpm!!! I am very satified!! Had to do some minor grinding to get it in but nothing major. Took about 2 hrs and a few beers to finish the job. This alternator is the real deal if you NEED power..
:flame:

;)

I know this is bringing back a very old dead thread, but any updates? I would like to know how this held up in the long run as I'm sure others do. And am very interested if 5-90 has investigated this any further.

Alternator is doing great. Cant say enough for the job they did. There is even a way to increase the voltage that it makes. At 15 volts things speed up :)

Alternator is doing great. Cant say enough for the job they did. There is even a way to increase the voltage that it makes. At 15 volts things speed up :)

I wonder how everything else is likeing running at 15v all the time? i mean wont that cause problems down the road over time? Not sure if the battery likes to be charged at that rate all the time either.

Back