• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

buy leaf springs or build s-10 bastard pack?

cherokee chuck

NAXJA Forum User
I'm planning on replacing my present pro-comp 2 1/2" springs & 1" block with 4 1/2 leaf.I enjoy fabbing my own parts ,but back in the day I built a set of springs for my 78 Ramcharger and believe me they were harsh. By the time I get my oem mainleafs retempered ,new bushings,degree shims and a pair of used S-10 or Dakota springs I'll be in them about 1/2 the price of a quality set of springs.It's not about the money,I'd like to build my own springs because thats the way I am, but I want a nice flexy spring.We did the ford truck coil spring trick and In my sons 95 and they are just too stiff for the
rocks & I don't want to go there if I'm going to wind up buying new springs
antway

Cherokee Chuck
8 7 Laredo 3 1/2"hybrid lift,skidplates,31"A.T,& misc trinkets

:repair:

I have not done the S10 swap. I'm different that don't like to missmatch springs. It can be done but I can't imagin the ride being = to a good set of full packs.

I'm running RE 5.5 HD and for a set with this much arch I feel that the ride and flex is great.
My recomendation would be RE full packs.

I just did an s10 bastard pack last weekend, and it rides better than it did stock. I think it's mainly because it isn't hitting the bumpstops like it was before. Before there was only 2" of clearance before the bumpstops touched. It does feel plenty flexy and soft, but I can't compare it to a new full pack because I've never seen one.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=957617

I did the Dak Pak and like it as well.

One thing about the full packs is that you have to actually remove the main leaf. It can be a real pain especially on the XJs from locals that use salt on the roads where the captured nut is inside the frame rail with no access to it unless you make one through the floor.

Less cost, easier install, but you do have to take some responsibily and tune it yourself to get your desired ride hieght. It took me 3 tries to get mine right. First was not high enough, second was too tall, AKA stiff, the last one was just right. Pulling a leaf or adding a leaf when you have new hardware is a piece of cake.

Fact is there really is no right answer. With some work and thought the Bastard pack can flex and ride nearly as well as a new leaf, however it will take some effort to get it to flex that well.

If you do build a bastard pack I recommend some full length liner just to help the flexing out.

Jeff

I see it only being a issue of how much $ you have. I did a s10 pack because I couldnt afford a new leaf pack and didnt want to have to cut the old leafs off because im sure the bolts are frozen etc....

I think it boils down to $ and time.By the time you source the other leafs and test and tune it than you could have just bought the right leafs.I did it several times in the past but now my time is limited so I just have to save up longer for things like that.

Thanks for the input.I think I'll save my efforts for somethig that's less of a crapshoot since removeing the springs is not an issue.A friend who works in a local 4x4 shop{Olympic 4x4 Supply,Snohomish,Wa} will sell me the R.E. 4 1/2" springs for $300.a pair.I really enjoy fabbing my own parts, but only if the the end results are worth the effort. Cherokee Chuck 87 Laredo 3 1/2" & still growing.:cheers:

Back