• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing engine on 88

drift_this

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, I recently purchased an 88 XJ, 4.0 auto, and I am swapping out a blown engine, for a better one. I am almost sure I have located and removed all of the engine to trans bolts, and tourque converter bolts but looks like there are 2-3? right behind the head on top. they are almost impossible to get to, anyone have any ideas/tips to getting those bolts out? or would it be eaiser to drop tranny/xfer case also? any suggestions/comments would be sweet thanks.

use a series of long extensions. a swivel socket helps too. knock the bolt heads with a hammer a few times to help them break free if hard to loosen. they are a 12 point bolt if memory serves correct.

are you upgrading to an HO?

why on earth would you not take one step back but LOTS of them by swappin in an old 2.8? if it were me id find one at a junk yard. round here they arent too bad

Timmy2XJS said:
why on earth would you not take one step back but LOTS of them by swappin in an old 2.8? if it were me id find one at a junk yard. round here they arent too bad
I think he means he's replacing the 84 model with the 88 model ....
:eyes: meaning he's gonna put another engine in the 88.

the two bolts behind the head are external torx (male torx) and you'll want a torx socket (female) to remove them. As for getting to them easier, I usually unbolt the trans crossmember and lower the transmission with a jack until I gain some clearance for the socket back there. Do yourself a favor and replace them with standard bolts to make installation easier!

B.RAIDER said:
I think he means he's replacing the 84 model with the 88 model ....
:eyes: meaning he's gonna put another engine in the 88.

i see what i missed. it was late and i was wore out. lol

sorry to confuse, I own 2 XJ's one of them is lifted 6" with 35's and it has the old 2.8. the new '88 I bought for $300 has the bad engine in it. so I am replacing the bad 4.0 with a good one, then I will be taking the lift off of the 84 and swapping with the 88. I think I will take the linkages out and pull it as a unit. and swap as a unit, so I can clean my dirty little tranny and xfer case. thanks for the heads up on the torx :)

DSCF0807.jpg

Back