• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i have to adjust my tracbar... help?

bosco01xj

NAXJA Forum User
i installed 2 inch spacers this weekend. now my axle sits about two inches farther towards the drivers side. i've never adjusted my tracbar before. whats the easiest way? i have to get it aligned too. could the alignment shop just center my axle for me?

Unless you have an after-market adjustable trac bar, your stock one is not adjustable. You are either going to have to buy an adjustable one, and some companys offer a trac bar relocation bracket that you mount on the axle and it changes the mounting location of your trac bar, but I would recommend just getting an adjustable trac bar.

I had a bad experience with my relocation bracket. Couldn't get it tight enough and it was the culprit of my death wobble. Ended up welding the bracket to the axle.

sorry. i should have added that i do have an RE adjustable tracbar.

Well, *IF* your axle is 2" off to the driver's side, it means your T/B is 2" too short.

Unbolt it, loosen the jamnut, unthread it 2", tighten and reinstall.

But boosting it 2" wouldn't put the axle that far off. If it IS that far off, something else is wrong.

Robert

okay. 2 inches may be an exaggeration. you make it sound so simple.

It IS that simple. Just center it with your eye. Once you have threaded it enough that it looks like it is center, call it good and get an alignment.

bosco01xj said:
you make it sound so simple.

Well, it's not rocket science. The hardest part will probably getting the TB off/out of the bracket without buggering it up.

For the "alignment," you should be able to check your toe with a tape measure, then tweek it with the adjusting collar on the tie rod.

Robert

another stupid question from me. all i have to do is unbolt it from the axle and not the frame right? just loosen the jam nut and do my thing?

You got it my man. Happy wrenching.

The alignment shop probably wont touch the trackbar. They may, but judging from what people here have said, they wont even want to do the alignment when they find out how out of square things are.
To adjust it you park the jeep on level ground, making sure that all the pressure is off the steering (I like to have the ignition on accessory so the steering wheel is free to turn, this takes the pressure off the trackbar), loosen the jam nut on the TB, remove the nut from the upper bolt and tap the upper end of the TB out of the mount, turn the steering wheel either left or right (this will pull the axle back and forth under the vehicle (you'll probably need a hand doing this) find a couple fixed points to measure the location of the axle (like someplace on the knuckle and inner fender or spring tower), when the axle is centered twist the top end of the TB until it lines up with the hole. retighten everything.

P.S. Don't know if you already knew this, but the easiest way to center the axle is to the steering wheel when your trac bar is disconnected from the axle and your body shift right and left over your axle. This is the easiest thing you'll probably ever do to your jeep. Leave your Jeep sitting on its tires in your driveway and just disconnect your track bar bolt at the axle, turn your steering wheel, and you'll get it centered in no time. Should take you less than 15 minutes.

werd! thanks for the help guys. i'll have to post some pics of my rig for tracbar modifying purposes since i cannot yet post in the pic forum. :rtm:

oh, and is it tracbar or trackbar?

Question, do you have the HD RE TB with the frame mount or is it just the basic RE adjustable TB (ie factory frame mount)

its not the stock frame mount.

you can see the frame mount barely in this pic.

bumper6.jpg

If it is the HD track bar with the SF joint, I find it easier to disconnect at the frame to do adjustments.

Along with what others have said, you can use a piece of wood to measure the distance from the tire to the fender on each side. What ever it's off by, just adjust the TB half of that difference to bring you to center.

If it's the HD bar, drop it at the frame end, but loosen the jamb nut first. Then what I do is measure from the same point at the framerail to the same spot on each tire, usually a point on the inside lug. I actually just slide the tape measure across the top of the tire, through the spring and against the backside of the bumpstop up to the frame/body. Repeat the measurements in the same spot on the other side. Use the steering wheel to move it side to side, and oh, unlock the steering column. :)

i had to add spacers to my rubicon express lift too when i added a bumper. Mines a 4.5 super flex and i got a winch and bumper nad the front STILL sits lower than the rear even with 1.5" spacers on it haha. But i never messed with my track bar never really saw a need to

emr1101 said:
i had to add spacers to my rubicon express lift too when i added a bumper. Mines a 4.5 super flex and i got a winch and bumper nad the front STILL sits lower than the rear even with 1.5" spacers on it haha. But i never messed with my track bar never really saw a need to

thats great, but what does that have to do with this thread?

Back