• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lunchbox install...

Stang5lgt

NAXJA Forum User
I figured I would share some pics to help people with there decision to install a lunchbox locker themselfs.
Ford 8.8 I installed in my XJ couple months ago.
lunchbox001.jpg

Guts
lunchbox002.jpg

Cross pins and pin spiders removed
lunchbox003.jpg

C clips removed axle pull out of the way
lunchbox004.jpg

Locker side gear
lunchbox005.jpg

lunchbox006.jpg

lunchbox007.jpg

Little crazy with the grease
lunchbox008.jpg

lunchbox009.jpg

Otherside installed
lunchbox010.jpg

All done took about 45 mins
lunchbox.jpg

How much did you have to do to the 8.8 as far as springs and shocks to get it to fit? Brakes would be the easy part for me. Nice write up on the locker by the way.

I reused the Ford spring mounts just cut them off and flipped them over the top side. Filled in the cut marks I left on the tubes. Then I cut the shock mounts off my old D35 and set them at 90 degrees from spring perches. I checked pinion angle of the D35 and used the same angle. I had to use spacers as you can see in the pic since the 8.8 is narrower then the D35. Only reason I needed them is because I am running stock 15x8 TJ rims. If you have aftermarket rims with less back spacing you should be fine.

was that an open 8.8?

Stang5lgt said:
I reused the Ford spring mounts just cut them off and flipped them over the top side. Filled in the cut marks I left on the tubes. Then I cut the shock mounts off my old D35 and set them at 90 degrees from spring perches. I checked pinion angle of the D35 and used the same angle. I had to use spacers as you can see in the pic since the 8.8 is narrower then the D35. Only reason I needed them is because I am running stock 15x8 TJ rims. If you have aftermarket rims with less back spacing you should be fine.

Sounds like I need to find someone who is good at welding. Hmmm wonder if JB weld would hold? J/K

Stang5lgt said:
Yeah they make one for yours just more expensive.

bummer.

Back