• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Switched to '00 Intake Manifold and APN header - not fitting

gone postal

NAXJA Forum User
I remember that I had stumbled across a thread awhile ago and some say it worked and others said they had to make slight modifications. Well, my setup seems to need some modification. The bottom of the last runner for the intake manifold comes in contact w/ the 6th cylinder exhaust. Anyone have pics of their solution or can tell me what they did? Easiest thing I imagine would be to slightly dent the exhaust, but that seems counter productive. I'd rather take some off of the intake manifold, but not sure how much needs to be taken off and if it can be done safely.

Well, assuming you aren't going to machine the head to change fitment or dent the exhaust -
I'd take a dremel with a grinding wheel on it and continue to do some light passes on both intake and exhaust, test fitting frequently, until it fits properly. If you take material off of both, you are less likely to go THROUGH either one before it fits, eh?

I haven't had issues with the newer IM on my 94 or 96 mounted with the Borla header. You obviously can't safely take any material off the #6 exhaust pipe so start grinding the IM.

hubs97xj said:
Just finished putting in a 99 manifold and APN Header. I followed the guidelines in this write up. It worked fine. Don't forget to test fit them on the bench using the gasket.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=84418

Have fun.

Thanks.

After about 45 minutes of no responses, I hit the search again and went back about 12 pages, but eventually came across the same thread.

I already had the exhaust manifold on and didn't really want to dent it, so I just took my grinder to the #6 runner. I don't have quite the same clearance as the guy in that thread since I didn't mess w/ the exhaust, but I'm not too worried about it - it's all bolted up and isn't in direct contact.

Back